ATX Community

Just Wondering

GeneInAlabama

I haven't noticed much light colored print alone so much as black backgrounds with white or light print.  I simply cannot and will not continue on those and usually submit a comment if easy to do so.  I think the black background is a faddish thing appealing to younger folks/eyes.  They successfully turn me off as I am clearly unwanted, like a lot of other advertising, not being in the 'desired' marketing age range. 

• Like 2

Firefox has a Reader View function built in. The icon looks like an open book. If you're on a page that it will work on, the icon will show in your URL bar (where the website address is).

Also in Firefox, under Options, Content, Advanced, you can uncheck the box to allow pages to use their own fonts. Then pick whatever font and size you find easiest on the eyes.

• Like 3

Slight tangent, all the white background is harder on battery life with a current mobile device.  The more you can get your mobile device to not have to light up pixels, the longer your batt lasts between charges.  For mobile, I try to control the background, if the site does not already options for a dark background.  For mobile, the display is the one batt eater you have some control over.

• Like 8

Disclaimer: I didn't design this site, I just manage the software that is purchased from a vendor.  Most of the colors you see are the defaults, although I can tweak (and have tweaked) the style sheets to make minor changes.

On this site, post text is all nearly black on white... it's not black, but it's very very dark.  There are other bits of data that aren't as dark, which I assume are what you're referring to.

The reason is that the forum is very information dense, and while none of the content is unimportant, some of of the it is definitely MORE important than the rest.

Less important information like how long ago a post was made or a signature line for example is lighter in color so that it doesn't compete visually with the more important text. Deciding what is important and giving it the appropriate visual weight is a basic design principle.  If everything stood out, then you would be left with a lot of noise and overall readability (and usability) would suffer.

In Web Accessibility terms, the WCAG 2.0 specification (Level AA) says that a contrast ratio (foreground to background) of 4.5:1 is required to pass.  Some of the lighter greys fall just shy of that ratio here, so I'll darken them up a bit.  If after darkening the light grey text (I'll get to it in a few minutes) you still have trouble seeing it, I might recommend either calibrating your monitor, or using your browser's built in accessibility features to help out, such as magnifying the page. (CTRL + (plus) to zoom in, CTRL - (minus) to zoom out.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Medlin Software said:

Slight tangent, all the white background is harder on battery life with a current mobile device.  The more you can get your mobile device to not have to light up pixels, the longer your batt lasts between charges.  For mobile, I try to control the background, if the site does not already options for a dark background.  For mobile, the display is the one batt eater you have some control over.

To go further out on that tangent... it depends somewhat on the display technology used for the panel.  On an OLED / AMOLED / Super AMOLED display, every pixel generates its own light.  Black pixels aren't lit at all, which saves a little bit of battery power.

On LCD screens, the entire screen is always backlit, and black pixels must block the backlight from coming through.

Some fancier LED backlit LCD TVs/Monitors have a matrix of LEDs for the backlight, and can individually darken/lighten regions (not pixels) of the screen making them somewhat more power efficient when large areas of the screen are dark.  Contrast ratio does suffer within those darkened areas, however, since if a region's backlight is darkened, it can't display as bright a pixel in that region.

Apple uses LCD (IPS) only.  Samsung is the biggest innovator when it comes to AMOLED technology, and uses them almost exclusively in their phones/tablets.  Other manufacturers have their own preferences, and some mix it up from device to device.

• Like 5