ATX Community

New York Sate Forms

Dave T

Watermark on NYS forms says not approved for filing yet it lets me create the NYS e-file.

Two questions:  will the file reject if sent and does anyone know when the forms will be approved?  I don't want to give a client a hard copy with the watermark on it.

Thanks

Dave T

I only deal with NYS employer forms.  In our case, the paper form no longer exists due to mandatory efile.  For the short time the paper form still existed after mandatory efile, we also put a watermark on the "form" we printed to at least prevent us from getting dinged if someone mailed it in.  Now we print a summary of what went into the efile, so it is really clear the paper is not to be sent to NYS.

IIRC the NYS income tax efile info, individuals who use software which "can" efile, "have" to efile.  If that faint memory is correct, assuming ATX can efile, I bet ATX is using the watermark just as I once did.  May not mean the paper "form" is incorrect, just that it should not be mailed to NYS.  (I am a literal person, so I am taking your "not approved for filing" as the watermark, with no mention of it being a draft form.)

The form has nothing to do with e-file.  E-file sends only lists of data.  We have mailed in several with that watermark and have never had one rejected. 

There is no way to print the forms without the watermark till the State approves ATXs version.  We have this issue with Ohio every year for the past 7-8 years.

"Because you are filing early, the State of (insert state here) has not yet approved these forms for paper filing.  The numbers and information are all accurate." "This has no effect on electronically filing your return."

This is not rocket science...