ATX Community

Form 8822 - Change of Address

Yardley CPA

Just in case you ever run into this again....I just filed one of these for the first time because the client never received her refund check because she moved and apparently never reviewed her return prior to signing the 8879.

The IRS agent I called said if the individual called the IRS herself with the amount of the refund, her SSN and something else (listed on the IRS website) then they could make the change on their end and resend a new check to the new address. I filled out the 8822 for the client anyway in case she was asked to fax one over.

• Like 2

As per the IRS website:

Any new address you provide the USPS may also update your address of record on file with the IRS  based on what the USPS retains in its Nat'l Change of Address database.  However, even if you notify the USPS, you should still notify the IRS directly as not all post offices forward government checks.

So if client is waiting for a check, they should file 8822, but as was said here, clients never tell us they moved until tax time.