ATX Community

1099-R (Code 8 in Box 7)

Dan

I have a 1099-R with a code 8 in box 7 and an x placed in the IRA box.  There is 33.43 in box 1 and 0.00 in box 2a.  

A traditional IRA contribution of $6,500 was made in January 2014.  On the 2014 return only $2,000 IRA contribution was used.  $2,142 could have been used that year.  So you see there was an excess contribution.  On February 18, 2015 $4,500 was withdrawn from the IRA. along with $33.43 of earnings attributable to the contribution.

Question:  What do I do with the $33.43 of earnings in box 1?  

I'm sorry, you are correct. The earnings will be taxable, and the 1099R should indicate the year they are taxable. Since 2014 was the year of the excess contribution and it was withdrawn before the due date of the 2014 tax return, this probably should have been reported on the 2014 return and subject to the 10% early withdrawal penalty of $3.

1 hour ago, Roberts said:

You can take a withdrawal for excess contribution and avoid the 10% penalty as long as you do it (I think) by April 15th. Since you didn't claim the contribution as a tax deduction - the withdrawal isn't taxed.

Except that I think you have to take the income that the contribution earned before it was withdrawn, and that portion of the withdrawal will be taxable. 

• Like 2