ATX Community

Two 1095-As

Pacun

Mother and son (both U.S. Citizens) went to the exchange and they enter $30K for the mother and 6K for son. Son is 22 and full time student. The exchange website said that son qualified for a plan paying $20 per month. Mother qualified for a plan paying $137. I have no idea why they didn't qualify for the same plan but any ways, the exchange cancelled mother's insurance in August and son's in November because they didn't present the documents requested.

Now I have two 1095-A from the exchange and because son didn't work last year and mother made about 29K, when I plug her information she has to pay penalty for 5 months and get a nice refund for the months she had insurance and she paid too much. If I add up both 1095-A and enter all the numbers almost doubled, the refund is even bigger. I have no idea what to do and this is my question. What should I do with the son's 1095-A since I don't see a please to input that information.

My software also allows input of more than one 1095A.  I can't believe ATX wouldn't have this feature. It isn't uncommon to end up with multiple 1095s.

On your input screen, is there an "add" button near the top to click to add additional forms?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

can i add a wrinkle to the above post..... single taxpayer received two 1095.   which is correct since he switched policies in the middle of the year.   however, they over lap for a couple of months.  its like one policy waited to long to cancel or the other policy started two soon.

so he has coverage and premium tax credit from both companies for two months of the year.   when i do as jack says above he owes..... since it is basically saying he received

twice the premium credit he was entitled to for those two months.       

i wouldnt even think that the healthcare.gov would allow them to have two policies in the same month?    but that is the way its reported

any thoughts?

Client should know which policy he was paying on and when. This sounds like a reporting error on the 1095 to me. Client needs to call the marketplace to discuss and request corrected forms. One client I have is still waiting on corrected forms after having contacted the marketplace in late Jan and again in early Feb. If it's the federal marketplace you are dealing with, the marketplace will contact your client a few weeks later to discuss and figure out if a corrected form is warranted, and then the client will be waiting some more.

Sounds like an extension candidate for me.  I've adopted a one-pass rule this year.  If I can complete the return on one pass, I'll finish it.  If I find I need anything else from the client - automatic extension.  That way I don't have to think about it or remember to pester them for the info.  

So far one client objected - I offered to send everything back to them and they can find someone else.  

Of course, the one pass rule applied to anything coming in before Mar 15.  Everyone after Mar 15 knows up front there will be an extension filed no matter what the state of their info might be.  Sure makes Apr 15 easy - just another work day around my office (if I choose to work on Apr 15). 

Yes, I went through that for a client.  (Baby born in October, so family size increased during that month.  Two 1099-As, one ending October and the other beginning October.)  You don't want to increase column b.  I adjusted October - b and my software did all the other math (there were also pre- and post-June forms to account for "pregnancy" medicaid for the mother; four forms in all).

No.  Both forms for the husband had the exact same full month amount for October B which would've doubled it.  I could've prorated each October B, but since they all get added together anyway, I just zeroed one October out, leaving the full October on the other; so when the software added the two Octobers together, column B was right.  The husband had the same amount in October B that repeated in November B and December B, which was also the amount for September B and August B and back to July when wife went on pregnancy Medicaid and husband remained on the Marketplace insurance.  I understand why he had a January-June 1095 with wife but don't know why he had both a July-October and a October-December when his didn't change again after wife left Marketplace in July.  (Wife had Marketplace 1095 for January-June and Medicaid for July-December; baby had Medicaid for October-December.)  Medicaid did not double up October for wife and baby the way the Marketplace doubled up October for husband.  I don't know why.

Wife remained on pregnancy Medicaid for a certain number of months after giving birth.  So, in 2016 I can look forward to how Medicaid might present her change from pregnancy Medicaid to regular Medicaid.  And, husband then qualified for regular Medicaid, so he'll have forms from both the Marketplace and Medicaid for 2016.  Oh, jov!