ATX Community

ATX Question

Terry D EA

Considering returning to ATX at the end of the season. Can ATX still be installed to an external drive and operated from the PC? I used to do this so I could take the external out of the office and put it in my safe. My current software has to install to the root C: drive to work. Also, and if I remember correctly, ATX will populate form 9325 correct? My current software doesn't even have this form in it. I have purchased an external drive with one TB capacity and want to use this as the main backup due to it's size both dimensionally and storage.

I am an old Max user and got out after the CCH take over so I suppose I should go back to MAX due to the various type of returns that I process. I have looked at Drake and while it seems good, I don't want nor have time for the learning curve. ATX had a couple of dark years but it appears from the discussions on this board, they have overcome those problems.

Opinions please.

39 minutes ago, Terry D said:

Considering returning to ATX at the end of the season.

1. Can ATX still be installed to an external drive and operated from the PC? I used to do this so I could take the external out of the office and put it in my safe.
  2. My current software has to install to the root C: drive to work.
  3. Also, and if I remember correctly, ATX will populate form 9325 correct? My current software doesn't even have this form in it.
  4. I have purchased an external drive with one TB capacity and want to use this as the main backup due to it's size both dimensionally and storage.
  5. I am an old Max user and got out after the CCH take over so I suppose I should go back to MAX due to the various type of returns that I process. I have looked at Drake and while it seems good, I don't want nor have time for the learning curve. ATX had a couple of dark years but it appears from the discussions on this board, they have overcome those problems.

Opinions please.

1. No
  2. So does the current ATX program
  3. Yes, it will populate form 9325.  I add that form to every return.
  4. You can use the external drive for backup.  Just not the automatic backup that happens each time you close a return.
  5. Since 2012, Max has no resemblance to the prior program at all.  Throw away everything you knew from 2011 and prior.
  • Like 2

My past two computers have had a SSD hard drive and a 2nd regular HD.  With the previous computer the SSD was only about 160gb and my intention was to use it only for the OS.  I loaded ATX (and other programs) on the 2nd HD.  Found out the hard way that ATX was putting the backups on the c drive anyway.  With the problems of 2012, I now load programs on the c drive (ssd drive).  With  my latest computer, the SSD is 500gb and the 2nd drive is 2T.  I'm not a programmer or computer tech but I realize there are just too many bits and pieces that these programs have and they load them in a number of places.  Best to have it all on c drive and let the program have the easiest time getting to everything.  I use the internal 2nd HD for other files, backups of certain C files and copied all my files from previous computer.  Things like that.  I also alternate 2 external HDs for backups, taking the most recent home for a separate location.  All encrypted.  I'm a one person office with just a stand alone desktop.  Don't want to think about how to run things with staff and workstations, etc.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Terry D said:

and if I remember correctly, ATX will populate form 9325 correct? My current software doesn't even have this form in it.

Terry,

The software will insert and populate the Form 9325 when the return is accepted by the IRS.  I have not had a problem with this form.

Not sure I totally agree with Jack's last comment "throw away everything you knew from 2011 and prior".  In a lot of ways the new ATX resembles the old ATX.  It is on a new platform - and with the new platform came a host of new things and new problems.  There was also a host of old things that are not now there.  But there remains the basic premise behind the software.  I left for a year after the 2012 melt down - strictly out of a survival mode mind set.  When I found ATX had settled down and  settled in after the 2012 fiasco, I came back and it was a good move.  For what it is worth, I have been with the ATX product since it was called Saber.  And in a further for what it is worth comment, in 2014 I prepared 520 returns in ATX: 394 individuals; 19 regular corps; 72 S-Corps; 18 partnerships; 10 fiduciaries; 5 non-profits; and 2 other returns.  I am on target to do about 25 more this year.  Many of them are multi-state and they all have their own issues.  I love the MAX software and it has done everything I have asked it to do.

Good luck with your decision.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, rfassett said:

Not sure I totally agree with Jack's last comment "throw away everything you knew from 2011 and prior".  In a lot of ways the new ATX resembles the old ATX.  It is on a new platform - and with the new platform came a host of new things and new problems.  There was also a host of old things that are not now there.  But there remains the basic premise behind the software.  I left for a year after the 2012 melt down - strictly out of a survival mode mind set.  When I found ATX had settled down and  settled in after the 2012 fiasco, I came back and it was a good move.  For what it is worth, I have been with the ATX product since it was called Saber.  And in a further for what it is worth comment, in 2014 I prepared 520 returns in ATX: 394 individuals; 19 regular corps; 72 S-Corps; 18 partnerships; 10 fiduciaries; 5 non-profits; and 2 other returns.  I am on target to do about 25 more this year.  Many of them are multi-state and they all have their own issues.  I love the MAX software and it has done everything I have asked it to do.

Good luck with your decision.

The only similarity is the look of the input screens. The entire engine and database functions are all radically different in all aspects.

I am also thinking of changing back, have been usuing Drake, realy do not care for the iinput, Liked ATX for the "other" forms,  just wondering how is the cost and what have been the increases each year.  Last time I used ATX was 2011, so I missed the 2012 thing.

thank you

If you're going to have to learn a  bunch of new stuff, may as well switch to Drake.  If you commit to actually doing it, you will you find the learning curve much less steep than you imagine. Most importantly, you'll find yourself being much more productive and profitable with Drake. You are in business to make a profit, aren't you?

While drake (IMO) isn't overly intuitive in data entry, it's something I've gotten used to. I only do about 30-35 returns on it for someone else and would seriously consider it if I were to switch (which I'm not). I know nothing about the buying process of Drake but the guy who buys it for me to use shares it with another single accountant. Don't know what they are buying or the cost but I log into Drake and download it. I know at least 3 offices (each doing <50 returns) is using it.

2 hours ago, Roberts said:

While drake (IMO) isn't overly intuitive in data entry, it's something I've gotten used to. I only do about 30-35 returns on it for someone else and would seriously consider it if I were to switch (which I'm not). I know nothing about the buying process of Drake but the guy who buys it for me to use shares it with another single accountant. Don't know what they are buying or the cost but I log into Drake and download it. I know at least 3 offices (each doing <50 returns) is using it.

My cost went down this year due the changes in license costs. The program's gone up a little each year but nothing terrible.