ATX Community

Client copy of large tax returns

Terry D EA

Just wondering what others do with this. I will be printing a tax return that is well over 100 pages, plus statements, depreciation schedules, and other associated worksheets needed to complete the return. A return of this size will not fit in the Tennez folders that I use. I am thinking of a notebook with dividers to organize this. Any other suggestions? This guy is a real estate investor and gets into many other investing activities. Can't wait till the bank asks for this one.

• Like 2

All good ideas.  I've also used plain financial statement covers and my binding machine. The covers are not embossed and have a dye cut window that I can customize a title sheet with the appropriate description to show through.  I use binding combs that allow the presentation to lay open flat, not those binders with spikes on a strip.

• Like 1

Clients don't want all that paper to begin with. Just something more for them to store somewhere. I rarely print more than 15 pages of any return. never print 4562, 8949, efile forms or any worksheets, and no one's ever complained. If fact, just the opposite. People have complimented me on having smaller returns,and complained about their prior tax pro giving a huge folder that they didn't need or want or would ever even look at.

Everyone gets a CD with all pages in a pdf, plus a scan of their records.

Save a tree and save yourself some time and money!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, jklcpa said:

All good ideas.  I've also used plain financial statement covers and my binding machine. The covers are not embossed and have a dye cut window that I can customize a title sheet with the appropriate description to show through.  I use binding combs that allow the presentation to lay open flat, not those binders with spikes on a strip.

I like this idea but don't have the machine. Wondering if my local Office Depot has that ability. I'll get the flash drive for this one as well. Thanks!

I use the back-to-school sale two-pocket folders from Staples, a different color for each year, with metallic "year" stickers from M&C.  Then I get larger ones in the same color and large vinyl ones in the same (or similar, not as much choice in colors in vinyl) for the larger returns.  Most of my clients still want paper and lots of it to overwhelm mortgage companies, colleges, etc.  I staple the returns in the corner and insert in the right pocket with client documents in the left.  Sometimes the states need to go in the left also &/or the K-1s from PEs.  This year I have orange cheap folders (but they look pretty nice with the stickers and my biz card in the slots in the pocket) and wider orange folders that expand to hold more pages and orange vinyl folders that hold lots and lots as the pockets are attached on only two sides so really expand.  I even have a few yellow folders for when there are several returns per family, if they want a different color for the kids or biz or trust or....  A few of my clients like a .pdf, whether uploaded to my portal or on some media.  Some want both.  And, a few do want a smaller, basic paper return.  It's just me collating returns, so I try to make it easy on myself and still keep clients happy.  The real tax return folders were always a nightmare for me to staple; lots of big returns with pages sliding and ending up skewed and those large staples a pain to remove.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

Clients don't want all that paper to begin with. Just something more for them to store somewhere. I rarely print more than 15 pages of any return. never print 4562, 8949, efile forms or any worksheets, and no one's ever complained. If fact, just the opposite. People have complimented me on having smaller returns,and complained about their prior tax pro giving a huge folder that they didn't need or want or would ever even look at.

Everyone gets a CD with all pages in a pdf, plus a scan of their records.

Save a tree and save yourself some time and money!

Wet to this a few years ago, clients seem to like, I scan all there information except for Medical  and I tell them they can add that information if they wish, some why not the medical, I just tell them the hourly rate to do it and they say OK, the medical stull doesn't auto feed well.  To review I just go over the comparison worksheet and have the CD with the PDF file up on the wall montor if they have questions about a form and also have hard copy of items they may question such as Sch E and C

really cuts down on the tonner and paper, 

• Like 2

Oh, yes, I've done that.  For years.  But, as I got older with arthritis in my hands, I've gone with fast and easy.  One staple, shove, done.  No complaints and actually a few compliments on my packaging.  And, easy on the telephone when I tell them to grab their navy blue folder for 2014 or the paper folder for the trust/vinyl for joint or whatever.  I've had new clients come to me with their prior year folders torn apart when they looked for something or made a copy for a bank or someone else took it apart to take out a depreciation schedule or something, so those business-like folders don't always stay that way.  Not to mention those that bring in the wrong years when they all look alike.  I spend my money on my software and my education.  I used to buy more expensive paper also for client copies.  But, as I saw how few ever looked at them after leaving my office (and some don't pay attention while in my office!) I just use the same multi-purpose paper for everything here.  I am always in a state of flux to do what matters to my clients.

• Like 2

I love to use FileShare on my web site.  But, I'm amazed at the people who try multiple times to download and call me for help.  Had an engineer earning high six figures at a major NYC hospital try eight times!  A lot of my young clients don't have printers, just show pictures of docs on their laptops or phones, so go to Staples to copy or call me for an extra copy.  As much as I hate to waste paper/toner/etc., if I hear them talking about refinancing or FAFSA or something where they think they'll need a copy, I print an extra while I'm assembling their return to save my getting a call at an even more inconvenient time.  Thank goodness I get more and more clients to try FileShare each year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lion EA said:

if I hear them talking about refinancing or FAFSA or something where they think they'll need a copy, I print an extra while I'm assembling their return

My letter says somewhere that extra copies at pickup are free; after that $30 up-front.  BOY did that stop the calls for copies when they want to refinance and "I can't find the one you gave me."  I remind them of the fee and all of a sudden it's "Let me take another look and get back to you if I can't find it" which of course means they couldn't be bothered to look until it was going to cost them money.

• Like 5

I did take the plunge for a binding machine. I have quite a few returns that this would be useful for. I am giving a travel drive or CD with the same so hopefully no requests for additional copies. One guy asked for three years worth last summer that I refused to print and send to his bank. That would have taken almost a ream of paper and who knows how much toner.

I with you all on the secure file. I too have a program for that, that no one appears to be able to open with out signing up for a continuing education class to do so. It is so simple and if you take your time and apply some common sense it will open.

• Like 3

About 6 years ago I decided that for all of my computer literate clients that I would only provide them with a pdf copy of their tax returns. I accomplish this by using a cd rom. For some of my elder and/or high wealth clients I give them the option.

Should any client that I provided with a cd rom to request a copy of their return there is a minimum $25 charge. For all returns in excess of 50 pages the charge becomes $50.

This has worked quite well for me in saving time, paper, toner, postage, etc.

Mike Dubin CPA

• Like 3

On 3/11/2016 at 8:36 AM, Jack from Ohio said:

Duplex printing if you must use paper.  For most of my clients, a 200 page client copy doesn't make their flash drive any larger...

After all, it is 2016.  16 years into the 21st Century...

I liked the 20th century a lot better.  It was a lot simpler.  When you become "elderly", technology becomes more difficult.

8 minutes ago, GeneInAlabama said:

I liked the 20th century a lot better.  It was a lot simpler.  When you become "elderly", technology becomes more difficult.

My chosen profession dictates that I must stay current with technology.  There are dozens of other professions that do not.  I choose to stay current.  "Elderly" is not what makes "technology more difficult."  Attitudes make staying current difficult.  For the record, I am almost 60 years old, and amongst my generation and my peers I am one of only about 5% that have bothered to stay current.

I taught an 81 year old lady with ZERO computer experience how to use a computer.  In the process of a year afterward, she e-published 3 books and had her own website.  Your objection due to being "elderly" is without basis.

• Like 1

I didn't say I am not trying to keep up.  I'm just saying that it is harder when you get older.  The brain doesn't work as efficiently as you age.  I sincerely hope your brain is still as efficient 20 years from now as it is now.  Also, some people are naturally smarter than others and I recognize that I am not one of the smarter ones.  I also recognize that there is a difference between knowledge, intelligence, and wisdom.

• Like 4