ATX Community

OneDesk program termination

Terry D EA

Since the last update which I believe was yesterday, the program has thrown an error of some sort three different times when trying to open a State return, throws up another message stating the application will be terminated and then it shuts down. After reopening the program I get another error stating I am trying to open a return that is either already open or has been terminated due to some other reason I can't remember. Never seen this before, anyone else experiencing this? Of course I called Dan and no return phone calls. I am calling Drake to find out if they can help me finish the year. This stuff is driving me nuts. I have zero confidence in the program left.

Depending on how many you have left, it may be less expensive to use pay per return with Drake at this point, or at least would save you the cash outlay upfront. I did that the first year.

If you go with Drake and have questions, don't hesitate to ask. One thing that helped me was to convert the prior year returns into Drake and view the input of those returns. It gave me a good idea of how and where to input for the current year being prepared.

Thanks Judy and I did talk with Drake today. They mentioned the pay per return as well to get me out of the woods. Drake does not have the capability to convert the files from OLT or OneDesk. I have about 50 returns left. Some are easy and some are really involved. It would cost right at 800.00 to switch over for the rest of the season. While I can cover that easy enough, it is an additional unplanned expense. Then in May take another 1100.00 hit for next year. I will try on Monday to get some support from OLT. I asked for this before due to the none support received from OneDesk and they agreed to support the product as they admitted it is theirs anyway.

I got the same error above just a while ago while working in form 1095-A. Program shut down, didn't keep any entries. It is nothing less than hair pulling to put up with this crap. Especially when a client is sitting on the other side of the desk and they want to know why you are staring at the screen and it appears you are doing nothing but in reality you are waiting on the program to re-boot.

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I have done that several times and don't know what fixed it but I have not had the errors for the last three days. Still buying Drake. I now panic during the preparation of each and every return. I can only suggest that those who are using OneDesk, check every calculation and every entry. Review each return very carefully to be sure some gremlin in the program hasn't had lunch on your entered information.

If it's as bad as that, I don't blame you for changing programs. I guess it might be safe if double checking everything and e-filing right away, if you have that type of practice. For those that have the delay of waiting for the client to return those signature forms, then you will have to check those returns again before submitting to make sure nothing is lost or has changed yet again.

This business has enough stress without having software worries adding to it.

Going back a couple of years, the OneDesk program wasn't this bad. it had it's shortcomings and quirks that I added up to a learning curve on my part. The year however, has been the worst ever. I can handle a few errors or glitches once in a while but no support to help identify and correct these things is just in excusable. Support simply has been non-existent this year. This is all too familiar as I was part of the TRX snafu as well. These companies are 3rd party resellers that seem to start off well and then take a plunge for the worse. For me, I have learned my lesson and will not try to cut corners on software any longer.

• Like 2