ATX Community

Another Phishing email...this one almost got me

BulldogTom

Here is the email I just got.  Had I not noticed the email address, I might have clicked on this one.

Well, I guess I can't post a snip of the email...ubt ti comes from IRS.gov and says my e-services will be suspended if I don't verify my PTIN by clicking the link.

Beware out there.   The scams just keep coming.

Tom
Newark, CA

• Like 2

I don't know if this is IRS but check this scary notice I just received:

Dear Margaret,

This is to inform you to appear in the Court on the April 04 for your case hearing. Please, prepare all the documents relating to the case and bring them to Court on the specified date.
Note: The case will be heard by the judge in your absence if you do not come.
The copy of Court Notice is attached to this email.

Sincerely,
Anthony Neal,
Clerk of Court.

This was to my diver address which gets many such spam things.  It's from [email protected]

I didn't open the zip file.  They will have to just manage without my presence.  If you don't  hear anymore from me, I've probably been hauled off to jail :(
  • Like 7

I got one a couple days ago purportedly from the Ohio Bureau of Workers' Comp. It said an installment due by March 2 had not been received.

I represent about 25 payroll clients--no idea who this was for. I replied using a junk e-address I have asking which client and noting that I was uneasy about phishing. I got a scathing reply that the address I replied from was not in the BWC's data base, that it wasn't phishing, and that I was expected to reply from my actual e-address.

I replied from my regular address and again asked which client it referred to. I've heard nothing since. Still not sure about that one!

• Like 1