ATX Community

Anger Management

mcb39

I am with Lion. The purpose of a retainer is to cover time spend incase the client disappears on you or doesn't pay.  I would bill for my time net the retainer and present an invoice with a balance due.  And who said you won't get paid.  The mom asked for the retainer back but may not realize the time you put in.  I once had a client go elsewhere after I gave him his return but he paid me for my service and returned the next year.  You go to a doctor, don't like his diagnosis so go to someone else, know what you still pay the first doctor or the collection letters start.  Unless you feel like you messed up, you are entitled to get paid for your time.  I have a real problem with professionals here that are so afraid of problems that they get afraid to ask for money that they are due. 

In this case I would keep copies of everything you were shown to back up your position, return the originals and keep sending monthly invoices for at least a few months.  BTW if you invoice includes provision for late fees and interest then you can collect them to [at least in NY]

And one final item, why are you discussing the situation with mom? even if she paid the retainer she isn't your client and you shouldn't disclose anything about the return to her.

• Like 8

20 hours ago, RitaB said:

I'm with you.  But I might hug them to get the right dimensions for the grave in the back yard.  Just kidding.

No hugging went on.  When I handed her the folder, I said "Here is a check for your Mother ($75 full refund) and here is a bill for you.  She grabbed it, turned around and left.  Never got time to introduce her to the back yard.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, mcb39 said:

No hugging went on.  When I handed her the folder, I said "Here is a check for your Mother ($75 full refund) and here is a bill for you.  She grabbed it, turned around and left.  Never got time to introduce her to the back yard.

Oh, she'll probably be introducing herself to the back yard.  Figuratively and financially speaking.   You did good, my friend.   

• Like 5

6 hours ago, mcb39 said:

Nice.  Very well done.  Gave the refund and billed at the same time.  Very well done.

Tom
Newark, CA

• Like 5

We had stopped keeping originals of W-2s etc but started up again this year because of refund identity theft.  Last year we had 12 cases and had to call each of them to return to the office so we could get the originals out of their folders to staple to the paper returns.  Decided to just hold onto them this year and scan and shred AFTER the return is accepted.  This season so far we only have one ID theft victim, who was also a victim last year and both he and spouse had IP PINS issued by IRS.  He's the only client I sent home with his original tax docs in his folder because I just assumed this year he was safe.  Silly me.  Most of the other rejects are those brilliant kids claiming themselves, but at least now we have the originals to put on the parents' paper returns.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, SaraEA said:

We had stopped keeping originals of W-2s etc but started up again this year because of refund identity theft.  Last year we had 12 cases and had to call each of them to return to the office so we could get the originals out of their folders to staple to the paper returns.  Decided to just hold onto them this year and scan and shred AFTER the return is accepted.  This season so far we only have one ID theft victim, who was also a victim last year and both he and spouse had IP PINS issued by IRS.  He's the only client I sent home with his original tax docs in his folder because I just assumed this year he was safe.  Silly me.  Most of the other rejects are those brilliant kids claiming themselves, but at least now we have the originals to put on the parents' paper returns.

Did I miss the regulation that requires original W-2 forms on paper filed tax returns?  Over the years I have sent multiple dozens of paper returns with photocopies and not a single issue?  Am I just lucky?

• Like 1

I've sent copies my whole career, also.  Sometimes a copy of the D copy or recipient's copy or whatever I have to copy or to print out from my electronic storage.

When I mail a copy to client to sign and mail in, I tell him he's welcome to replace the W-2 copies with the "B" originals if he wishes but that it's not necessary.  (I have some worrier clients who would call me to ask, so I head them off.)

• Like 1

So far my only identity theft victim this year was also a client who got compromised last year and filed with a pin this year.  I asked the auditor the other day about this and his thinking is that the system is broken because he is hearing a lot of this.  The pin solution is not working.  (Although, it has worked for some of my clients).

Also, want to thank all of you for your remarks, solutions and advice regarding my anger management issue.  I feel so much better now and am happy with the way it was resolved.  All that remains is a dull ache; which will fade.

Edited by mcb39
added text
  • Like 6

I'm kinda late getting to the party on this one and (true confession) didn't read every reply so someone might have beat me to the punch on this.

When they show up for the refund explain what you did and why and then ask them in view of all the work you put in on their behalf how much of the refund they deserve. Ask them to put themselves in your shoes and then state how much they think they should give back.

Then watch them squirm. First to speak loses.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, JJStephens said:

I'm kinda late getting to the party on this one and (true confession) didn't read every reply so someone might have beat me to the punch on this.

When they show up for the refund explain what you did and why and then ask them in view of all the work you put in on their behalf how much of the refund they deserve. Ask them to put themselves in your shoes and then state how much they think they should give back.

Then watch them squirm. First to speak loses.

I still may get this chance because I hear that someone else is stirring the troubled waters.  However, I am finished with them.  Am glad that I cleaned the slate and I never have to deal with this girl or her mess again.

• Like 8

There are some people out there who will drain your energy and wear out your patience simply because the drama they create gives their lives meaning & purpose. .  They run the gamut  from bored, well-to-do trust fund babies to highly-accomplished people with low self-esteem to abject losers with nothing but time on their hands and a penchant for trouble-making.  I try to avoid these types whenever I identify them (some even in my own extended family).

As friends & associates, the time can be better spent on more useful endeavors.  As clients, it isn't possible to charge them enough to make them worth the effort. It's  evident that this client falls into that category.

• Like 8