ATX Community

They walk among us.....

Ringers

The Turbotax slogan "It doesn't take a genius" is really illustrated by some of the questions on their Turbotax (ttlc) live community.  If you ever need a good laugh, just shoot over there and look at some of the questions that are posted.  Today's favorites are these:

• don't remember my cost or basis on a house I sold

From the answer: If you can't remember the cost basis and don't have any documentation to prove it, then you must claim a cost basis of zero and that means that the entire sales proceeds are a taxable gain.

• is cost of filing Bankruby deduckable

From the answer: Unfortunately no , the legal fees that you incurred to file for bankruptcy are considered personal expense and are not deductible on your tax return.

and my favorite from today:

putting in an amend

so i put in an amend because i didn't know i was supposed to file both my w-2s at once and was wondering how i would know if it went through?

You cannot make this stuff up!!!!!!!!!!!!  It may not take a genius, but I guess you at least need opposable thumbs!!!!!!

• Like 7

Just to add, I am a teacher by day so I can tell you the schools are open. I'm not sure about the minds that come through the doors. Students don't have the requirement to think or implore critical thinking or problem solving due to technology. Some, as you can tell from deduckshuns, can't even use spell check. All they have to do is push buttons, which they do quite well. Sad thing is they have no idea what the buttons mean. What drives me crazy is when I ask how they got a particular answer all they say is I don't know that's what the calculator or computer said.

• Like 6

Clients started a new business and owed a fair amount of money last year.  I recommended estimated payments and prepared the vouchers for the same (complete with addressed envelopes)!

Called after completing return to confirm that clients had, in-fact, made the estimated payments.

Nope . . . thought those were coupons for a payment plan for the 2014 amount due.  Did not want to owe the feds money, so did not opt for the payment plan.

Awesome!  These are great clients.  I got a great laugh and a reminder that things that are clear to me might not be as clear to other people who are just as smart but not versed in my lingo.

• Like 3

I argued with my son's third grade teacher about teaching him to write cursive- the school seemed to feel that they would all be using computers and would not need to know how to write well. 

I become the meanest mother in school that summer when I made my son write the US Constitution, with all amendments, in cursive over the summer break.

His handwriting is still atrocious, but he can write and read cursive.

• Like 8

Kids can't keep up with notes in school because they cannot print fast enough. They can't get tests done in time because they only know how to print.  So they prefer to input on their phones because they can text faster.  I showed my daughter that I could still use shorthand.  She thought it was incredible!  And if they don't bother to teach cursive, they sure don't bother with shorthand.

I took typing and shorthand knowing I absolutely did not want to be a secretary, but the guidance counselor insisted that secretarial students should be the only ones taking that class.  He insisted that I would not need to know how to type going into accounting - and certainly I would not need to know shorthand. 2 best skills I ever learned.  

• Like 8

For me, making myself use the 10 key with my left hand in initial accounting classes so that I wouldn't have to constantly put down my writing implement was among the better skills I learned.  Then a few years ago to relieve achy neck and shoulder on the right side I trained my left to do the mouse work.  Instant relief as stress is more balanced.

• Like 3

I haven't mastered it yet, but a fellow tax preparer uses the mouse on his left so as not to remove his right hand from the number pad as often.  I too used to use the old adding machines in summer jobs dating back to college at least.  And, didn't have time for typing class in HS, but bought a set of books and taught myself.  Not good with the top row, but since I use a number pad for numbers anyway, my typing is OK.  Better than texting with my thumbs!  (I'll start to answer my daughter's texts and end up calling her or sending her an email from my computer instead.)

• Like 4