ATX Community

You need to know when to stop preparing

michaelmars

The last 7 returns I reviewed from my staff all got rejected by me. Careless errors and of course these are our most complicated returns with up to 50 k1's and multiple brokerage accounts.  I just told everyone to just do extensions at this point, the returns can go out next week.  Of course my partner who doesn't get involved in tax prep just wants to keep producing so he can keep billing. 

• Like 7

Yes; knowing when to stop, whether for the day or the season, is very important.  With our computer issues this year, I decided to put in all extensions the first week of April.  I'm still working, still finishing returns -- but knowing that all those clients are already on extension.  So I am taking my time and working carefully.  ALL my stress this year was March 22 - 30 with the computer problems.  

• Like 7

I can understand the pressure when getting towards the end.   With a small practice like mine just under 250 returns (just me and an admin assistant) I have the luxury of being done before the deadline, with only about 15 extensions.

But when computer problems hit and giant returns trying to get completed and the clock ticking, it's just not worth the expense of things going wrong.  I admire both of your decisions and glad I'm not in your shoes, because I would have probably shot myself by now, or start drinking....more that is.

• Like 4

Nothing wrong with a wee bit of Macallan 15 during the say to lubricate the brain cells.  Its only a problem when the wee bit becomes a 16oz cup. 

Catherine you are a baby still complaining about your computer issues, our Coffee Machine stopped working this morning, now that's an issue worth crying about.  So far our intern has made 3 coffee runs for us then we got smart and bought a Kurig.  Too small for our office normally but should get us through the weekend.

• Like 4

The coffee machine makes me recall something that happened many years ago when I was the young controller for a small ink manufacturing company. True story here:

This was long before the days of cell phones - we had nothing but land lines.  I lived about 20 minutes from the plant and the owner (Jack) live about 30 minutes away. We had a bookkeeper (Ginger) who was always the first person to work. Ginger was very talkative and always in a high state of excitement even on normal days. 

One morning as I arrived, Ginger met me at the door, very agitated because we'd had a break-in the night before.  They took calculators, typewriters, petty cash from the vending area, etc.  (didn't have computers at that time).  She told me she had already called Jack at home, and she was especially upset because the only thing he seemed concerned about was the coffee pot.

Jack arrived soon afterward, and we spent most of the day filing police reports, buying new office equipment, notifying our insurance company, and arranging for some security enhancements.  When things settled down and Jack & I were sitting in his office reviewing the day's events, I told him I was puzzled over Ginger's comment about his concern over the coffee pot.

He said ->   "I knew you were probably on the way in and you'd take care of things.  But I couldn't get Ginger off the phone so I could shower, get dressed, and come on in as well.  She just kept telling me over & over again what all had been taken and yelling 'They took everything! Everything!'.  So I finally asked her if they took the COFFEE POT. She said 'No, why?'  I said 'Well make some #$%^%  coffee and I'll be there in a half hour!'  She needed something to do and I figured that would keep her occupied until you got in."

• Like 12

17 hours ago, Catherine said:

Yes; knowing when to stop, whether for the day or the season, is very important.  With our computer issues this year, I decided to put in all extensions the first week of April.  I'm still working, still finishing returns -- but knowing that all those clients are already on extension.  So I am taking my time and working carefully.  ALL my stress this year was March 22 - 30 with the computer problems.  

I have to stop myself when I know that I am either rushing or being careless.  Filed a string of extensions tomorrow, but what is driving me crazy right now are the naggers who keep calling to see "how their return is looking".  They interrupt and waste my time.  This is the most frustrating and intense tax season that I can remember and I have decent help this year. 

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, mcb39 said:

I have to stop myself when I know that I am either rushing or being careless.  Filed a string of extensions tomorrow, but what is driving me crazy right now are the naggers who keep calling to see "how their return is looking".  They interrupt and waste my time.  This is the most frustrating and intense tax season that I can remember and I have decent help this year. 

"...it is in process.  Now it has been moved to the back/bottom of the work stack.  Each time you call, this is what will happen."  You may not really do that, but let the client think that you are.

• Like 4

Even better, get them off the phone altogether.  Migrate them over to email and texting.  It forces them to be more precise and frees you up to address their questions when most convenient for you - in some cases during the 15 minutes between finishing one big project and before turning to the next.

I return phone callls by the next business day.   But I reply to emails and texts almost immediately.  Sometimes the response is simply "I'll look into it and get back to you", but it satisfies the client to know I'm on it. 

• Like 3

I usually return emails fast.  Now, I'm returning emails really late at night before getting some sleep, and returning phone calls by email the same time.  If I had all those minutes back from telling the naggers I'm filing extensions and then completing returns in the order received, I'd have another half dozen returns complete.  But, I've had to put something in front of my phone to block the blinking light !!

• Like 2

When I really need to get stuff *done* without interruption, I turn the phone ringer off and close my email program.  Sometimes all I need is a half-hour to concentrate on something gnarly, then I can reply to whomever.  And I really like they "you're now at the bottom of the pile" tactic and will ponder using it.

• Like 2