ATX Community

Took The Plunge

Terry D EA

I just purchased the Drake package today. From what I have played with so far, it seems as though I won't have a major learning curve and am looking forward to a smooth well supported tax season next year. One thing we, or at least I, didn't consider when purchasing a tax package is the ability to convert your tax files from one program to another. Olt Pro is so small that Drake doesn't offer a conversion so this is something that I will have to overcome and will be a factor each time I consider a software change. From what I hear, I will probably stick with Drake for a long time. I was with ATX when it was Sabre Pro all the way thru to the CCH buyout. Thanks to all of you who have recommended this change.

• Like 1

When I converted, I manually entered everything into Drake. It went fairly smoothly, but I didn't have an unusually large number of carry forwards or complex depreciation schedules.  I'm sure that would make a difference.  

I made the switch at the beginning of tax season due to the ATX meltdown.  If I had been able to choose, I would have switched at this time of year and then prepare my extension returns using Drake. I think I recall that Drake opens up the current year for full filing during the extension period  for evaluators and (of course) new customers. 

• Like 1

The best thing I ever did with taxes was to switch from ATX.  I have or had since I am retiring a small practice and it was a very small learning curve, I hardly noticed.  My last few years, I used the pay per return ATX.  The reps would not even bother to talk to me.  When I did get one he or she was gone the next time I called.  I did have to "mickey mouse" a few things, but tax knowledge made it easy.  I did notice last year, they waited a long time to give us the full version.  I maybe wrong, but I think it was after Oct 15.

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 0:10 AM, JohnH said:

When I converted, I manually entered everything into Drake. It went fairly smoothly, but I didn't have an unusually large number of carry forwards or complex depreciation schedules.  I'm sure that would make a difference.  

I made the switch at the beginning of tax season due to the ATX meltdown.  If I had been able to choose, I would have switched at this time of year and then prepare my extension returns using Drake. I think I recall that Drake opens up the current year for full filing during the extension period  for evaluators and (of course) new customers. 

The 2015 version  Drake will not be in Demo until December. They will give me access when it goes to Demo. So, I think your statement is incorrect. So, far, I really like the program. Now it is on to entering all previous client information manually into 2014 and hope I can carry them to 2015 and on to 2016 when December rolls around. I will wait to do my clients with large depreciation schedules in December just to be safe. If any experienced Drake users here want to give me some pointers or comments. Feel free to do so.

Learn to use macros.  Do it as soon as possible.  Maybe modify a few of the macros that come with the program just to see how they work and how easy they are to write. Then write a few simple ones yourself.  Once you get the hang of it, you'll reach a level of transparency fairly quickly, being able to see the end result and formulating a rough idea of how to get there before you start.

Macros will help streamline your repetitive work.  I suspect you might be able to write macros that streamline some depreciation entry work and save yourself considerable time doing that task.

• Like 1

In thinking back to when I started with Drake, I spent considerable time watching their training videos during the first few weeks.  They are short and to the point, but they help you to get familiar with basic operations and also familiarize you with the terminology Drake uses for different parts of their software.  They also provide info on shortcuts and the various routes you can follow to accomplish some tasks, depending upon what works best for you. And they make it crystal clear how simple the program is (contrary to all the hysteria we hear about how difficult it is to switch from forms entry). The switch is fairly seamless, once you lay aside the misconceptions.  

• Like 1

I tried Drake's forms entry early on.  But I found the entire forms entry concept to be inefficient and flawed on several levels.  Drake's power is its speed, and you can simply work faster by efficiently using the data entry screens. 

Even in ATX, the forms entry feature only applies at the most basic level.  For anything remotely complex, you wind up leaving the forms and working in a worksheet or data entry screen. May as well make that your default the way Drake does it - understand the data entry screens and trust them to feed into the form correctly.  (Of course, it's very easy to click on "View" to take a peek at the form if you need reassurance, then return to data entry.  It's nothing more than a toggle there and back). You can even write a macro to do that for you if you wish.

• Like 3

My problem with Drake is that I prefer forms data entry even if it is to guide me to specific forms - yet I don't like Drake's.

Their data entry screens are very bewildering to my mind at times - especially if it is a new issue and I need to go looking for the credit entry. The greatest thing about Drake is how it rolls over everything from one year to the next and it has every worksheet you'd imagine. I like seeing how they didn't qualify for specific credits or whatever else. Very impressive - especially for the money.

Had one problem with Drake this year on my state. Client was retired military and he had a small state pension also. The software simply could NOT figure out how to give him the small state pension a 0% tax rate and a reduced tax rate on the military pension (on the state return). It looked like it was doing it properly but when it figured out the tax - it was off. It effectively was taxing the state pension as earned income but it sure didn't look like it when you printed it off. That's a pretty bizarre issue consider how few people have even one pension. He'll be getting Social Security soon also - that's going to be funny to watch.