ATX Community

Purchasing a new computer

jklcpa

So we've beat up the Win 10 upgrade pretty well on here, but what about on a new machine?  My computer has been giving me troubles since Sunday and I think it's the graphics card, doesn't matter anyway. This machine has been in service since mid 2011, I've gotten good service from it, and now it's time for a new machine. Once I lose faith in the equipment, even if repaired, I usually don't trust it completely and move on.  Luckily for me it's a slower time of year and I'm between large projects. I have current backups of all data files to 3 different types of media so I shouldn't lose anything important.

For perspective, my current machine is Win 7 64-bit, i7-2600 processor 3.40GHz, 12GB RAM, one 22" monitor. 

My quandry is what to shop for and where. 

For OS - I see that Win 7 is still available, as is Win 8.1 also. How bad are the reports of Win 10 on new machines?

For hardware - What should really be on my wish list besides the responses I expect of SSD and dual monitors (I don't *need* two but since we're dreaming here). DVD drive? Some older programs and files are on disks, so I'd need that.   I'm considering adding in a new HP printer too.  

Lastly, where to shop for this dream machine?

So if I seem to disappear off the interwebz for a while, you'll all know why.  **Waves goodbye** now just in case.

• Like 2

When you purchased your 2011 system, it sounds like you were VERY smart and did the top spec's that were far above the current needs for that day/time.        Continue with that thinking and you should be fine.  Heavy on the RAM, highest processor with "game type" speed and highest bit reasonably available.   Yes the SSD for both storage and initial boot.  

The thought on OS --- (mine) which may be at odds with most thoughts is to go with WIN 10.    Several reasons -- WIN 7 is going out (still good for probably 3-6 years but going anyway); so a new system with the most current OS that should (hopefully - given MS wanting to keep growing money) with all NEW things bring written for WIN 10 and such should serve you well.     Also, since this is a "slower" time for you, you can learn the new OS easier and also make sure all the "programs" you want to use are functionable and available (or find replacements, etc.), when you are NOT pushed to "get-er-done".

Others will have more ideas, but that is my 1 1/2 cents worth.

Be well, enjoy the sun and keep on forming!  (this forum at least) -- :D

I have two portrait for tax returns so I can get a whole page on the screen and a third landscape that has email on the right and Chrome on the left with tabs for message boards, email programs for my two largest biz clients, etc.  I use the landscape to open Excel spreadsheets.  I love three monitors.

• Like 3

In my office we have 4 computer running windows 10. But we use ProSeries.  I've done returns back to 2012 we no problems.  I just went to the ATX site and they are recommending

Windows 10 as the best computer for a new purchase.  If I was buying a new one I think I would call them and get their recommendation on what to do. 

I am a big proponent of getting a new PC when there is a new OS.  The odds of any OS/Hardware issues are much less.  For the most part, any off the shelf PC is going to be fine, unless you are gaming.  Amazon has been fine for me.  No matter what source, if it does not fail soon after beginning use, it is likely not to fail for a long time.  Leave it on for the first week or two, not sleeping or hibernating, will fairly test the hardware.  If one is inclined, you can run some stress test software as well.

I do add a video card, so I can have multiple monitors.  I like smaller multiple monitors over large screens, given what a person's eyes can easily scan.  The key for me is to keep the tops of the monitors at or lower than my eye level to avoid neck pain at end of day.  Portrait is easiest on the eyes, but landscape can be handy for something with ling lines (like program code).

--

For work, I use an old computer.  It is plenty fast, and more closely simulated what our customers might be using.  I have W10 and W7 via dual boot.  The box is probably 10 years old now.  I have personal and other PC's, newer and older, which I can use when needed.  The only time I wish it was faster is for a long program compile, but it is still just seconds, versus tens of minutes in the "old" days.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

The problem with Costco and Sams Club computers is they usually come with the home version of windows.

Agree, the last one I bought from Sams had the perfect specs for me, except for the Win8.  Jump on newegg and bought Win7 Pro and an SSD drive, installed it myself and my total cost was under 1,050.00