ATX Community

speaking of getting hacked, what security software do you use?

schirallicpa

I use all the free editions of CCleaner, Malwarebytes, and SuperAntiSpyware.    I run CC, then either Malwarebytes or SuperAntiSpy at the end of my day, updating each daily.    I also use McAfee. 

I've learned to do this on a regular basis after a laptop was infected and Dell needed to wipe everything out, started all over.  Tech said this method is what he did, maybe overkill, but he mentioned Malewarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware may find something the other didn't.

I used malwarebytes, CC, and run either or MS Security essentials. I had to replace my router this year and during the process, we encrypted the guest access as well. It was suggested to me to do this as a hacker could gain access through an unprotected access regardless of other encryptions on the main access. We will change this password every year or every 6 months. It is a pain to change passcodes on your router but it is an extra layer of added protection. Well, at least in theory.

MalWareBytes, Avast, CCleaner, IOBit malware fighter.

The reason I prefer Avast is it will do a Boot Time scan. That will catch things that a normal scan won't catch.

everything is backed up on another computer (at my home) in real time using BitTorrent Sync - the folder is encrypted. I don't trust cloud services - their interface can be very vulnerable.

Eset NOD32 antivirus and paid version of CCleaner.  I also preview all email on my ISP's webmail interface; everything apparently non-spam (that wasn't caught at the ISP level) is downloaded to MS Outlook (simply by opening Outlook after deletions made in webmail) maintained on a laptop on which no irreplaceable files are kept -- my email "sandbox".  (The only ransomware-accessible conduit runs through Dropbox, which automatically keeps a prior-to-change version of each file.)

It sounds a lot more complex and time-consuming than it is.

Like schirallicpa returns are prepped on standalone PCs.  Like Abby, I foreswore Norton and McAfee years ago.  Once I found Eset, I've used it for all PCs, Apples, and smartphones.  Even my irrepressible daughter's iPhone hasn't been hacked.

• Like 1

We use Eset, paid version of Malwarebytes and CCleaner. As well as barracuda firewall. I am a bit concerned as last weekend my Netflix account was hijacked. Not sure how or why but could have had something to do with me using Netflix via WiFi on my Non-business laptop. PIA to go through and change passwords on EVERYTHING.