ATX Community

NT: prayer request

Catherine

I am so sorry Catherine!  There are no words that can convey my sympathies.  Life is hard, of that there is no doubt.  The taking of one's own life, besides being an act of desperation, is also an act that defies logic.  So often we frustrate ourselves by trying to figure out the "whys" and "what ifs".  The fact of the matter, suicide is an act of non-logic. Trying to apply our sense of logic to it, simply frustrates us.  My own son, also named Eric and 26 years old, stymied a would be suicide just last week.  When the dust settled, he was more distraught than the would be suicide victim.  Suicide, and everything about it, defies our sense of logic and rationalization.

I will pray for Eric and his family and you and your family.

And even so Lord God,  I come to you with a heavy heart for Catherine, for her family, for Eric, for Eric's family.  We do not know what troubled Eric to the point where he could no longer tolerate it.  But we do not have to - because You know. I am so thankful Father that You are sovereign - in the big things, in the little things, in the things that we understand and most importantly in the things we don't.  And so it is, O God, that I place these things in Your hands.  I pray that all of those that are affected by the passing of Eric will be able to turn to You - not for answers to their questions, but to simply rest in the calm of Your love and peace.  And even at a time like this, it is my prayer that each of them will be able to find that peace that defies all understanding; that peace that can only be found in Jesus Christ, my Lord!  I pray that you will take Eric and Eric's family, and Catherine and Catherine's family into Your loving arms and just hold them. I pray that You will continue to be with them during this - their hour of need.  And in this day and the days to come, I pray that You will be with each of them in every step that they make and every breath that they take.  I pray that You will surround them with loving people that can help them through this time.  And if not that, I pray O God, that You will send Your angels to stand watch.  Please, O Lord, hear my pray.  Thank You Father.  I pray these things in the name of my Lord and Savior, Jesus, the Christ!  Amen and amen!

• Like 1

My prayers are with you and your families. It will be 10 years since we lost our 27 year old son - drowning/fall. 

Be there to listen, let them talk of him, encourage them to bring up his name no matter how long of a time it has been. 

Find a group called The Compassionate Friends if you can near them - we started one and it has been an incredible help for us and others in the area - short term for some, longer for others. Even if they go on the website. Allan Wolfelt has good books on grief, find a good support grief. We asked ourselves and still do -
" What would Jeremy want us to do? " Life does go on but it is a new normal... 

I am so sorry. 

• Like 3

Catherine,

After my wife passed away last September, I received a heartwarming letter from an Academy classmate of mine who also had been a member of our Wedding Party.  I will quote part of his letter here, changing the names and gender.

"It is hard to face the death of a loved one.  And yet, it something we all must do, several time in our lifetime.  It is part of the celebration of life. and every life must be celebrated.  

"Your job now is to take up Eric's ethics, his vision, his wisdom, his respectfulness, his energy and carry it forward as long as you can.  It may seem that a library of knowledge and experience has been lost.  Not true. Everyone who knew Eric carries that library forward. It is not lost. 

Memoria Semper / Always Remember"

All of our hearts are with you, Catherine.

Joel

• Like 9