ATX Community

In the Path of Hurricane Matthew?

SFA

I'm watching the Hurricane Matthew news and praying that everyone will be safe. My son has a vacation bungalow a block off the ocean in New Smyrna Beach, FL. I may have to drop everything and go help with cleanup. I am working late on tax returns and office work so I can get there if needed. It's going to be a late night at the office. :unsure:

• Like 5

An acquaintance of mine moved to Hilton Head Island in South Carolina several years ago. That's about a 4-5 hour drive from Charlotte - all interstate Highway.  He dropped by today for a short visit with local friends because he had driven up here to escape the storm. Traffic was so bad it took him 9-1/2 hours to make the drive, in spite of the fact that they are using lane reversals  on I-26 for evacuation.

• Like 3

Hurricane Matthew a potentially devastating Category 4 or 5 strike ahead on Florida's East Coast; Strongest in decades

(Weather Channel) -- Hurricane Matthew, once again a Category 4 hurricane hammering the northwest Bahamas, is hours away from beginning a potentially catastrophic, rare Category 4, perhaps even Category 5 siege on Florida's east coast, with dangerous storm surge, destructive winds, and flooding rainfall stretching into Georgia and South Carolina by the weekend.

http://www.aol.com/article/news/2016/10/06/hurricane-matthew-a-potentially-devastating-category-4-or-5-stri/21575838/

SFA, I kept waking up last night checking the Weather channel because Matthew had a bullseye on Stuart FL where I have friends.   It turned out that the worst of the storm stayed offshore and in speaking with my friend this morning there was only a torn screen.  He is 1 mile from the beach.  It appears that New Smyrna  and Daytona Beach will have more damage but not devastating.  If your son's bungalow needs replacing, that's what insurance is for, the main thing is, he is safe.  When it is rebuilt it will be better than ever.  This may be nature's way of keeping our economy going, except that it doesn't take into account the personal loss, that's why there is family like you. 

• Like 4

I made it home last night from Orlando. I am never going to Florida again if there is ANY chance of a storm within 2,000 miles. We certainly didn't expect that we would have any effects that far inland. We got there late Monday night and by Wednesday afternoon were trying to find flights home. I am just glad that it wobbled and was ten miles farther offshore than they expected. At least we used our park tickets on Tuesday and Wednesday so they didn't go to waste. I was ready to drive home, but my husband vetoed it. He didn't want us driving in that traffic and it was not easy to find gas. A lot of gas stations were out of fuel until after the storm. I finally bit the bullet and bought tickets for myself and my son's girlfriend for Saturday AM, which were cancelled. I changed the flights twice and was so happy to see Omaha last night. My son can fly in any airline's  jumpseat, but he had to request an additional day to report back to his hub, because they closed the airport Thursday afternoon until 10 Saturday AM. 

Going through a hurricane was not on my bucket list, but now I can say that I've seen hurricane force winds and rain. We were lucky, because our timeshare did not lose power, but it was very scary with the number of large trees on the property. 

It was great getting away for a bit, but I was a wreck for two days worrying about how I would get home and knowing how much work I had waiting for me. 

• Like 3

My Florida clients (six miles inland) were fine but their in-laws in NC are out of power.  And the wife's dad (in NC) passed away just a day or two before the storm hit.  So they are heading north to the no-power area to the ONE room in the ONE hotel that still had space, to help the family and try to arrange a funeral.  At least the f-i-l did not die due to the storm.  But good grief, NOT an easy time for them.

They still owe me some tax docs and called while packing the car for NC to say they'll overnight them.  I told them "family first!" and we'll just file the return late if need be.  They typically get a refund anyway.

• Like 1

I was so grateful that my sister, husband, daughter and family and son and family were able to evacuate from St. Simon's Island in time.  They had to go to Montgomery AL to find a place, over 500 miles.  They are back in Brunswick GA now but can't get to the island for another day or more.  My sister could take her 2 dogs but not the several finches that she raises. She is so worried that the extra food and water she left may not have been enough or there may be damage to the house.  At least they are all safe though it has been very costly for them.  Scary....

• Like 4

Thanks for asking!  Yes, they all survived albeit with dirty water and very messy cages.  My sister said they were quite traumatized but settled down quickly.  The trees in the yard lost some branches but seemingly there was no damage to the house itself - thankfully.  I am encouraging her to think about moving more inland but doubt that will happen.

• Like 5