ATX Community

Getting your copy of the tax return that was changed by the IRS

GeorgeM

I have a client that the IRS changed her tax return and as far as I know she did not receive any explanation of the changes.

The amount that they changed a refund to I cannot come up with I don't know what they did.

Is there any way of getting the changes made by the IRS. I have looked at the forms for request of a copy of the tax return but it is only for the original tax return as filed by the client. Also the form for the transcript is only for the original tax return filed.

I want to file a 1040 X for so she can get the refund that she is entitled to but I can't come up with their interpretation of her tax return.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you

She should be able to call and request that they explain the changes they have made, and with her permission you should be able to listen to the call.  OR you can get a signed Form 2848 and call and request that the change be explained to you.  OR you can submit the 2848 to the CAF center, wait a week or so, and look at the account transcript on line which should explain the changes.

If they have changed her return to a refund, I am not sure why you need a 1040X to get her refund.  They should send that automatically.  Of course, they usually include an explanation when they notify you that they have changed the return.  Are you sure thay you saw the entire letter - front and back?

• Like 1

I have a feeling that she did get receive an explanation from the IRS but she has had so many problems over the past year she gets things mixed up and I get a feeling she's got it mixed in with something else and can't find it now. Thank you very much for your nation.

If you haven't seen the letter, how do you know it is even from the IRS?  Any letter clients receive about taxes they almost always attribute to the IRS.

Even if it were from the IRS, you have to see the letter.  You can not rely on what clients tell you as they don't understand what they are reading.

Don't waste your time on this until you know exactly what the issue is and who the tax agency is.

• Like 1