ATX Community

EFIN Verification

This year ATX is requiring EFIN verification. I have not used E-Services for a very long time. I went there to get a copy of my EFIN letter but there isno place to get that there and I cannot find a place where I can print the summary page of my E-Services Account.

My EFIN was issued back in 2007 but since them my address has changed. will ATX accept that letter even though my current address is not the same as shown on the letter.

How do I get around this problem?

Thanks for your help.

Naveen Mohan

CCH Software News - URGENT - EFIN Application Summary Submission Must Be *.PDF and From IRS e-Services

Dear CCH Tax Customer:

All software providers must have an EFIN application before electronic filing is allowed. This EFIN Application Summary must be generated from IRS e-Services and in a PDF format. If you have not yet submitted this document, or it was not submitted as a PDF and generated from e-Services, then you may be delayed in e-filing 2016 returns.

What Document to Submit for EFIN Verification
To e-file returns, you must submit official documentation of your credentials to e-file as a Provider in good standing with the IRS following these guidelines:

How to Submit your EFIN Application Summary

Provide your EFIN Application Summary using the secure Support site to upload the *.PDF document(s). How to upload EFIN letter summary PDF to CCH Support.

Knowing your EFIN Application Summary was Successfully Uploaded
Once you have uploaded your *.PDF documents successfully, you will receive the message:
"Your files have been successfully uploaded. Thank you."
If you receive this message, we have received the documents.
If you did not receive our previous communications regarding the EFIN Application Summary requirements, please ensure you create an account on Support.CCH.com and immediately sign-up for our CCH Software News to ensure you receive all important updates.
For IRS e-Service issues, please contact the IRS.
Find answers to your questions in our Knowledge Base.
Please feel free to Contact Us online if you have any questions.
Sincerely,
Wolters Kluwer

I think I am going to give up.  I have to have a PTIN that I have to pay for every year even though it was free when I got it.  I can't efile without it.  I have a CAF number, an EA number and an EFIN number all issued by the IRS that I have had for 20 years.  I have to give my PTIN and my EA number to ATX and every CE provider that I take classes from.  These a-holes at ATX and IRS both know who I am.  And now this. 

Tomorrow morning, I will have to sit on the phone for hours waiting for some jackass in some IRS office to finally answer the phone and tell me how to register for the F#$%^ing service that I don't want because the information I provided doesn't match their F--ed up computer records.  I know what my AGI is, and my name, and my address, and my social.  It has not changed.  But it don't match something.  This is just utter bull crap that I have to spend all this time doing this crap.

I am sick of this.  I think I will throw in the towel.  I am tired of clients trying to cheat the tax system and the IRS machine that is too incompetent to find these cheats and the congress who wrote this ridiculously complicated tax code. 

I think I will go out with a bang and apply all the knowledge I have in order to inflate every tax return refund by 10K and then let the bastards try and catch me.

This is the stupidest crap I have ever heard.

• Like 1

Bulldog:

I am with you.  I am tired of being beat up by an organization that does not pay me, but treats me like the enemy.  And does so very little to actually try to find the folks who are committing all the fraud.

There are 10-15 businesses, maybe 30, that are efiling with the IRS.  CCH, Intuit, etc.  Instead of placing a mandate that ALL of us preparers go thru a stupid process to provide to these 30 firms the info, why not just let these firms know that these are acceptable EFIN's?  Not on the list?  You get a letter from the IRS, or CCH blocks you when you file.

No, that would make sense.

And 14 bureaucrats spend time tracking down pointless letters instead of responding to CP-2000 notices, or stopping fraud.

Rich

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Naveen Mohan from New York said:

This year ATX is requiring EFIN verification. I have not used E-Services for a very long time. I went there to get a copy of my EFIN letter but there isno place to get that there and I cannot find a place where I can print the summary page of my E-Services Account.

My EFIN was issued back in 2007 but since them my address has changed. will ATX accept that letter even though my current address is not the same as shown on the letter.

How do I get around this problem?

Thanks for your help.

Naveen Mohan

Are you sure you need to do this?  This has been on my letters every year and I ignore it and have never had a problem.  I think it is a form letter sent out to everyone but really only applies to first time filers thru ATX.  We have already established our credentials to efile.

Just my thoughts!

• Like 2

Such hostility! If it is this way now, I shudder to think what it will be like in March.  Just sayin'!

Anyway, I was just in myatx.com and in the tax season readiness document, it states that ATX must have your current EFIN info on file.  It provides a link to an answer in the ATX Knowledge Library which was updated on September 13th, 2016.  That document says that your EFIN info must be on file with ATX.  Well, shoot, I will just copy and paste what it says.  But my take away is that I do not need to do anything further because there is no request for my EFIN on myatx,com.  What they have on file is current.

• Double-check that your current EFIN information is on file. IRS regulations require that we collect and retain proof of your EFIN. Learn how to update this by reviewing ATX Knowledge Library Answer ID 13729.

Adding or modifying EFINs on file with CCH SFS

Answer ID 13729   |    Document ID   |    Published 10/22/2012 08:13 AM   |    Updated 09/13/2016 09:59 AM

If you want to e-file any tax returns, your IRS-issued EFIN letter must be on file with CCH Small Firm Services. If your office uses multiple EFINs, each one must be on file, for the tax returns to be accepted by your Electronic Filing Center (EFC).

To update your EFIN with CCH SFS

1. Log in to the My ATX Solution Center Web site with the Admin user name.
  2. Click an item in the My Account list.
  3. Click EFIN Request on the left sidebar. The current EFIN on file is then shown.
  4. Click Modify to update/change your EFIN.
  5. Legal terms must be acknowledged by checking the box I Agree at the bottom of the page. You must also sign with your email address on file in our system for the selected Client ID.
  6. Click Continue.
  7. Enter the new EFIN and EFIN holder's first and last name as it appears on file with the IRS.
  8. You must attach a PDF copy of your IRS EFIN letter or the IRS EFIN Summary page from IRS e-services at this time.
    • For instructions on how to locate your EFIN letter via the IRS website, see Answer ID: 15665
  9. Click Browse. A window will appear to allow you to navigate to the files on your computer. Browse to the folder where you have saved a copy of your EFIN letter, click on the file name and then click Open to attach the file.
  10. Click Submit Request.

Once you have completed this process, you will receive an online notification confirming that your request has been submitted.

Notes:

• You will receive an e-mail containing your updated activation codes for your software. That email will come from [email protected] with UNLOCK CODE in the subject line. Your Activation Code may also be referred to as REG CODE or RECODE. If you do not receive this e-mail within 24 hours, contact Customer Service.
  • If you have problems uploading your EFIN letter, email the letter to [email protected] or fax it to 800-834-4859 to have your account updated.
  • Though the ability to e-file with your updated EFIN(S) is usually activated within 4 hours, it could take up to 24 hours to complete your request. You can verify that we have your updated EFIN(S) at the My ATX Solution Center by clicking Electronic Filing on the Home menu tab. If your EFIN is not updated at the My ATX Solution Center within 24 hours, contact Customer Service at 800-638-8291.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tax Prep by Deb said:

Are you sure you need to do this?  This has been on my letters every year and I ignore it and have never had a problem.  I think it is a form letter sent out to everyone but really only applies to first time filers thru ATX.  We have already established our credentials to efile.

Just my thoughts!

OMG, I hope you're right. 

10 hours ago, BulldogTom said:

I think I am going to give up.  I have to have a PTIN that I have to pay for every year even though it was free when I got it.  I can't efile without it.  I have a CAF number, an EA number and an EFIN number all issued by the IRS that I have had for 20 years.  I have to give my PTIN and my EA number to ATX and every CE provider that I take classes from.  These a-holes at ATX and IRS both know who I am.  And now this. 

Tomorrow morning, I will have to sit on the phone for hours waiting for some jackass in some IRS office to finally answer the phone and tell me how to register for the F#$%^ing service that I don't want because the information I provided doesn't match their F--ed up computer records.  I know what my AGI is, and my name, and my address, and my social.  It has not changed.  But it don't match something.  This is just utter bull crap that I have to spend all this time doing this crap.

I am sick of this.  I think I will throw in the towel.  I am tired of clients trying to cheat the tax system and the IRS machine that is too incompetent to find these cheats and the congress who wrote this ridiculously complicated tax code. 

I think I will go out with a bang and apply all the knowledge I have in order to inflate every tax return refund by 10K and then let the bastards try and catch me.

This is the stupidest crap I have ever heard.

I love so much of this.  You have captured my sentiments so accurately after being on hold with them yesterday for one hour and forty-four minutes.  That part I highlighted, though, that sounds even more serious than me telling my client's secretary, who was trying to set up an installment agreement, per his request, that he filed a Form 1040 jointly with his wife.  If we go to the crossbar motel, will we still be able to talk to people here?  Is there interweb in the slammer?  Don't do it, Tom.  .:)

• Like 3

I have been submitting e-files since tax year 2003.  I believe I sent in a copy of my letter that year.  I have never submitted it since.  The IRS requirement for transmitters to verify EFINs has been in place for at least 4 tax years.  I have not had any communication concerning this since tax year 2003.

Over reacting to the letters I believe.

2 hours ago, Jack from Ohio said:

Over reacting to the letters I believe.

Wrong Jack.  I was on the phone with the IRS this morning.  They are cracking down on software providers who "just take your credit card and let you prepare"...his words, not mine.   And I was not supposed to forget the username and password that I set up in 2012 because it is important.  And he said "if you think this is bad, wait until you see the next one that will require you to give us a link to your cell phone to get access".

I got up at 4:30 this morning to call the help desk to get lectured by some bastard who knows diddly about taxes but is proud that the IRS is cracking down on preparers and software providers.  But the bastard could still not get my damn username and password to work.  Wasted 45 minutes listening to a useless government employee do nothing but gloat and try to belittle me..

ATX will not allow you to efile until you submit the letter Jack.  Get used to it.

Tom
Newark, CA

Excerpted from the ATX email I received

Note: EFIN verification is only required once. You do not have to update this information every year.

Will Campbell
800-495-4626 x1205
[email protected]

ATX

ATX
  800-638-8291
  [email protected]

© 2016 Universal Tax Systems Inc. d/b/a/ CCH Small Firm Services. 
All rights reserved. 
225 Chastain Meadows Court NW | Suite 200
Kennesaw, Georgia 30144 USA
Update Email Preferences

linkedingoogle-plustwitter
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cbslee said:
Excerpted from the ATX email I received

Note: EFIN verification is only required once. You do not have to update this information every year.

Will Campbell
800-495-4626 x1205
[email protected]

ATX

ATX
  800-638-8291
  [email protected]

© 2016 Universal Tax Systems Inc. d/b/a/ CCH Small Firm Services. 
All rights reserved. 
225 Chastain Meadows Court NW | Suite 200
Kennesaw, Georgia 30144 USA
Update Email Preferences

linkedingoogle-plustwitter

Hmmmmmm.....

No further comment is needed...

• Like 1

UltraTax required the EFIN IRS letter from us this year.  When their request was ignored, they called more than once and said unless they had it very soon our efile capabilities would be delayed.  We've been in business a long time and UT had the letter when we started with them a decade ago, but this update is supposedly a new IRS rule.  I understand that people are angry about it, but it's got to be an attempt to stop fraudulent returns.  The DIY software that the crooks favor is now sending all kinds of data tags along with each return filed.  Perhaps this is one move the IRS is making to stay ahead of the jerks.  Hmmmm, if they know they can't get away with filing 400 returns with their $80 TurboTax package, might as well buy a professional version and borrow some unsuspecting practitioner's EFIN.  I know it's a colossal pain, but if it saves our tax dollars from going to criminals and spares some taxpayers from refund fraud, it's worth it.

• Like 2

I was worried about this so I called ProSeries support to get the answer.  I do have to provide EFIN verification to them before e-filing this year.  They gave me detailed instruction on how to go about get the information I need.  It comes down to going on to IRS e-servies and verifying information and then printing it out.  Print out the EFIN Application Summary and submit it to ProSeries.  They gave me the details on how to get it to them.  I call the IRS at 1-866-255-0654 and they agreed that this has to be done this this year.  The IRS agent helped me with the process. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ADGFINANCIAL said:

I was worried about this so I called ProSeries support to get the answer.  I do have to provide EFIN verification to them before e-filing this year.  They gave me detailed instruction on how to go about get the information I need.  It comes down to going on to IRS e-servies and verifying information and then printing it out.  Print out the EFIN Application Summary and submit it to ProSeries.  They gave me the details on how to get it to them.  I call the IRS at 1-866-255-0654 and they agreed that this has to be done this this year.  The IRS agent helped me with the process. 

Regulation cite please?  Information from a phone call is questionable at best...  There has been nothing announced from the IRS about this "requirement" for tax season 2016.

I went to My ATX site and see my EFIN there.  The only way I can see to upload my acceptance letter is to go to change my EFIN but I'm not changing anything so I do not believe this is required.  I have my letter ready but I am going to wait till I send my first efile before I struggle with this.  I still believe that if we are already established it is not needed.  If it was I believe our EFIN number would not be showing on our info thus forcing it to be updated.  I vaguely remember having to do this the first year I efiled way back in the day.

• Like 3

There is no cite at this point in time other than the IRS page I've linked to below, but I think the key word in this discussion is "verification" of the EFIN. Those of us that have efiled and have never changed software vendors already submitted the EFIN letter long ago to our software providers, but at some point soon and before the next season begins that will change, and in order to efile we will all have to log in to e-services, go through an identity verification, register a mobile phone and receive a text to it, etc. We will then be able to print out a pdf (must be a pdf from e-services) where the EFIN was assigned as part of the application process. All of the software vendors will be required to do this by the IRS.  This is just one part of the security measures that were developed as a result of the security summit from this past summer that was held between the IRS, software vendors, and other key stakeholders. Another change will be required usernames and strong passwords to access the 2016 software, and with those passwords expiring and needing to be changed every 90 days.

At this point the e-services/EFIN requirement was to be implemented by 10/24/16 and has been temporarily delayed according to this IRS page (safe link for those that worry): https://www.irs.gov/individuals/important-update-about-your-eservices-account  Also, note that at this point it may be possible to proceed through this authentication process by telephone and waiting for something via U.S. mail that may take 5-10 days and additional steps to complete the process.

This will be a requirement for all of us that do not already have the verified EFIN document as a pdf document from e-services on file with our software vendors. It does not count that the EFIN itself was already on file with the software vendor if that information was provided to them from the original letter sent to us from the IRS. It must come from e-services now because there were some fake EFIN letters submitted and relied on in the past.

I have seen this on the Drake site, Drake's forum, in an email from Thomson Reuters for their CS fixed assets and tax products (Ultra Tax) as well as a warning right on their main page in large bold lettering, in a direct email I subscribe to from the IRS stakeholders' liason out of the Philly office, and now here.

• Like 2

This is very confusing.  I have had my EFIN on file with CCH for I cant tell you how many years, Im guessing since its been required to efile.  All with ATX but with Main ST for 2012.  Its current in my account page.  I received no notice from ATX that I need to resubmit a new "verified" EFIN.

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 10:43 AM, RitaB said:

OMG, I hope you're right. 

I love so much of this.  You have captured my sentiments so accurately after being on hold with them yesterday for one hour and forty-four minutes.  That part I highlighted, though, that sounds even more serious than me telling my client's secretary, who was trying to set up an installment agreement, per his request, that he filed a Form 1040 jointly with his wife.  If we go to the crossbar motel, will we still be able to talk to people here?  Is there interweb in the slammer?  Don't do it, Tom.  .:)

Rita,

Is the following -- why -- you really are not worrying about this -- right now?  That IS YOU -- right?    ////

Nov 26 (Reuters) - A lottery ticket sold in Tennessee had the winning numbers for a $421 million Powerball jackpot, one of the biggest on record, officials said after Saturday's draw.

The winning numbers selected were 17, 19, 21, 37, 44, with the Powerball 16. No one as yet had stepped forward to claim the prize, which grew in size since Sept. 17, the last time anyone matched all six numbers.

The jackpot soared from $403 million to a reported $420.9 million on Saturday due to a spate of late ticket-buying.

The prize is paid out over 30 years, with the option of a lump sum payment, which officials said would add up to about $254.7 million.

• Like 2

" It must come from e-services now because there were some fake EFIN letters submitted and relied on in the past."

And that, Bulldog Tom, is why we have to do verification this year.  I was wrong in my earlier post when I thought out loud that the IRS was doing this to try and stay ahead of the crooks.  Looks like they are just catching up with the latest tactics.  And it looks like the IRS is right again when they are warning preparers that we are now the focus of criminals, that they are trying to steal our info and data.  I'm sorry that the verification process isn't going smoothly for you, but we do have to realize it's in our own best interests to play along.

On 11/24/2016 at 10:49 AM, Tax Prep by Deb said:

I went to My ATX site and see my EFIN there.  The only way I can see to upload my acceptance letter is to go to change my EFIN but I'm not changing anything so I do not believe this is required.  I have my letter ready but I am going to wait till I send my first efile before I struggle with this.  I still believe that if we are already established it is not needed.  If it was I believe our EFIN number would not be showing on our info thus forcing it to be updated.  I vaguely remember having to do this the first year I efiled way back in the day.

Still waiting on a cite FROM THE IRS stating this requirement to be implemented by the transmitter? (In my case, ATX)

Requirements to access and use e-services is NOT the same thing.  They are doing this for the e-services site because they had their pants down and were hacked.

I have not installed 2016 yet, nor have I received any such communication from ATX or the IRS.  I stand by my statement about overthinking.

It's in the works, we just don't know exactly when, or when we'll be able to get these pdf printouts because that must come from e-services, and that has a delay in bringing the enhancements up to speed for the new log in and identity authentication. Until that comes about and we reregister with e-services, we can't obtain the pdf printout for this new verification. What I've seen on the other vendor's sites is very similar to what Lion posted from the CCH site in the second post of this topic.

The EFIN authentication by transmitters was mentioned as early as June on the IRS page linked below that highlighted changes coming as a result of the security summit and anticipated to be implemented for the 2017 filing season. The mention is under "Authentication Work Groups", a group that includes payroll and software vendors. EFIN verification is the second bullet point:

"State and the IRS will receive new data elements from individual returns that will help improve authentication of the taxpayer and identify possible identity theft scams. These new data elements are in addition to the more than 20 elements identified last year.

• Partners also will share data elements from corporate tax returns to expand identity theft protections to businesses.
  • Partners will enhance authentication efforts of tax return preparers and transmitters using Electronic Filing Identification Numbers (EFINs.)"

https://www.irs.gov/uac/security-summit-partners-update-identity-theft-initiatives-for-2017

Right, and MeF is down for maintenance and e-services isn't up to speed yet, so we don't know why ATX isn't making this announcement when many of the other vendors have.

Has your confidence in ATX's communication with its customers changed to a more favorable state since last year then?  ;)