ATX Community

EFIN Verification

11 hours ago, jklcpa said:

It's in the works, we just don't know exactly when, or when we'll be able to get these pdf printouts because that must come from e-services, and that has a delay in bringing the enhancements up to speed for the new log in and identity authentication. Until that comes about and we reregister with e-services, we can't obtain the pdf printout for this new verification. What I've seen on the other vendor's sites is very similar to what Lion posted from the CCH site in the second post of this topic.

The EFIN authentication by transmitters was mentioned as early as June on the IRS page linked below that highlighted changes coming as a result of the security summit and anticipated to be implemented for the 2017 filing season. The mention is under "Authentication Work Groups", a group that includes payroll and software vendors. EFIN verification is the second bullet point:

"State and the IRS will receive new data elements from individual returns that will help improve authentication of the taxpayer and identify possible identity theft scams. These new data elements are in addition to the more than 20 elements identified last year.

• Partners also will share data elements from corporate tax returns to expand identity theft protections to businesses.
  • Partners will enhance authentication efforts of tax return preparers and transmitters using Electronic Filing Identification Numbers (EFINs.)"

https://www.irs.gov/uac/security-summit-partners-update-identity-theft-initiatives-for-2017

Judy,

I hate to disagree with you but you can already printout a PDF of your efile summary page which is what ATX instructs us to do.  The PDF is and always has been available.  The-services log in thing is different than the efile verification.  Like I said, I already Have what ATX is asking for, it's just that there is no way to upload it to them without changing my efile number again leading me to suspect that I am already verified.

ATX has sent me the same info the last 3 years stating the need to verify efile info but I have never had to do it and on their website it states it is a one time process.

I guess I will find out when efile service starts or if we get some more communication either from IRS or ATX.

• Like 1

Thanks for the correction, Deb. I realized that the pdf is available from e-services. Right now the pdf printed from there is the completed application, and perhaps that is all IRS meant by "enhanced authentication" which is rather vague, I know. We'll have to each go with whatever our vendors require of us.

n=

32 minutes ago, jklcpa said:

Thanks for the correction, Deb. I realized that the pdf is available from e-services. Right now the pdf printed from there is the completed application, and perhaps that is all IRS meant by "enhanced authentication" which is rather vague, I know. We'll have to each go with whatever our vendors require of us.

No, I do believe in the near future we all will be required to re-register for e-services and that is what is going to require the "enhanced authentication".  That is a totally separate issue from providing proof of e-file eligibility via the pdf upload.

As a side note I took a good look at Lion's post earlier with detailed instructions on how to do this without changing your e-fin in MyATX, but I was not able to do that either because I could not log in and was unable to register because apparently this is yet another of CCH website not linked with MYATX or Intelliconnect.  It was asking for my CCH account number and would not accept anything I could find so I gave up.  Again I tried updated thru ATX but this is only if your number has changed, mine has not, so again I am perplexed.

You can get your efile summary page from eServices at any time.  I don't use ATX so don't know how to upload your .pdf to them.  I'm a ProSystem fx user and uploaded to CCH.  They won't give me my new VPN until January to insert in my software so big brother can track everything that files from my software.

Well, I got my efile summary page and ProSeries support team help me with it all.  Just got it up loaded.  I'm ready for the upcoming tax season.  Why complain about it wasn't that hard.

Dear August Girard,
Your request for EFIN ### 399 has been submitted for review. Please allow 1 business day for our team to review and process your request. 
EFIN verification is an important security step to protect the integrity of your account, and your taxpayer data.  
Thank you,
Intuit Customer Care

14 hours ago, Jack from Ohio said:

Still does not state that the transmitter is REQUIRED to verify EFIN information AGAIN for this coming tax season.  

Enhance does not equal require re-submission of already established identity.

I will be installing the software this week.  We will see.  Been e-filing since 2003.  

You should ignore this thread entirely and if your software company demands verification you should refuse to provide.

I'm sure nothing will happen and everything will be perfectly fine.

• Like 2

ATX is referencing Knowledgebase Article # 13729, which details the procedures to add/update an EFIN.

It doesn't say anything about confirming or recertifying a current EFIN.

Since I don't start preparing tax returns until early February,

I have time for other users to play guinea pig and figure this out.

Good Luck, I just hope it's not excessively frustrating and painful !  :unsure:

2 hours ago, Roberts said:

You should ignore this thread entirely and if your software company demands verification you should refuse to provide.

I'm sure nothing will happen and everything will be perfectly fine.

This is exactly what I have done since tax year 2003.  Although I have never receive a request for such information or verification after my initial setup with ATX.

Paranoia abounds...

17 hours ago, cbslee said:

I have time for other users to play guinea pig and figure this out.

Good Luck, I just hope it's not excessively frustrating and painful !  :unsure:

I met this requirement for my tax software. I had to renew my e-services account (which I'd been trying to do for weeks for something else) and all told, took me about 10 minutes to accomplish. Not really sure how people consider this burdensome, frustrating or painful.

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 9:30 AM, jklcpa said:

I am on the summary page.   Do I just print the page to my PDF printer?

Thanks

Tom
Newark, CA

Hmmm, I thought I didn't need to do this then read more then saw that I had logged into e-services with a new password after May 2016 so, theoretically, was already validated.  Then I saw Get Transcript wasn't part of e-services so tried to set up a new account for that.  I got all the way to entering my cell phone number (with Verizon in my name for over 10 years) and got a message that it couldn't be verified with that name, number and carrier.  Now what?  Maybe I will just wait for the letter.....