ATX Community

felon trying to get an efin number

nicoliap

1 hour ago, nicoliap said:

Yes I had a felon 7 years back can this stop me from getting a efin number

IRS has a 10-year look back for felony convictions in their suitability check.  If answering "yes" that you had a felony conviction within the last 10 years, you must provide details in the application. There are 3 questions in the section on suitability that must be answered that the IRS uses in deciding to accept or deny the application. If the firm, principal, or responsible party fails the suitability, the IRS will notify the applicant of the failure and will include a date that the applicant may reapply.

See pub 3112, page 9-10.

Since your email address contains your actual name, I was able to find that you are already listed as a tax preparer, and since any preparer preparing more than 11 returns is generally required to e-file those returns, I am curious about how you've been handling this so far.  What reason are you giving to your clients for paper filing those returns?   

Good luck to you Nico, everyone deserves a second chance.  A friend of mine had a felony, did time and it was a big wake up call for him.  He is now such a model citizen it makes me look bad.  He's even got me picking up litter on Earth Day.  All the best.

• Like 6

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 8/13/2019 at 9:06 AM, Luis585 said:

Hello. Just curious if you have gotten your response from the IRS? Thank you. 

You quoted me in error. I am not the one waiting to hear from the IRS, and the original poster has not visited this site in 2 1/2 years. I googled her name and she is listed as a tax preparer with a "consumer alert" flag saying that the information is out of date with the notation that this person may no longer be practicing or might not have renewed her PTIN.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
21 hours ago, MSJOLKA24 said:

I HAVE BEEN FILING TAXES FOR 2 YEARS NOW. I HAVE AN ACTIVE PTIN NUMBER AND I WORK FOR A COMPANY RIGHT NOW, LAST YEAR UNDER THE COMPANY I E FILED 159 RETURNS. IS THERE ANY HOPE OF ME GETTING MY OWN EFIN NUMBER IF ITS BEEN OVER 10 YEARS OF ME HAVING ISSUES WITH THE LAW?

No one here will be able to answer how the IRS assesses one's qualifications or what other information on your application may trigger a delay or denial by IRS, but you are beyond the 10-year look back for answering the question about felony convictions within the suitability check.  You'll have to submit your application to find out.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...