ATX Community

Can't Remember

Tax Prep by Deb

My response will probably be no help at all. However, I do remember being able to create a set of default forms. If my memory serves correctly, you could choose common forms to open. Like you, I can't remember how to do so. For you, I hope that feature is still there. This may have been back as far as Sabre.

On 1/16/2017 at 5:07 PM, Tax Prep by Deb said:

I hope one of you can remember.  In the past it seemed to me like we could set some sort of preference so that when we started a new return it would automatically select the forms I set it up to do.  Most of my clients have the same form so it would be terrific if I could set this up again.  Any one remember how?

I think you are referring to the easy to use template feature that ended with the 2011 ATX preparation package. With the move to the new program platform in 2012, the return template feature disappeared. As a work around, you could set up regular returns in the 2016 program and use the duplicate form feature to create a new return with starting forms in it. Depending on how you track your clients, either by name or client number, you should be able to come up with names that land at the top of the Returns directory. If you're using the "hide completed returns" feature, be sure to not check the complete box on the templates you create.

At our office, we setup a new tax return "client" with the forms that we generally use with most of our tax clients. We name this "client" "AAA to Duplicate" so it is the first client on the menu. It has no entries anywhere, except for our preparer info. Then throughout the season, when a new client starts with us, we duplicate the return and rename it with the new client's name.

If this makes sense to anyone, congratulations! You can do this same trick for 1065, 1120, 1120S clients as well.

• Like 2