ATX Community

Form 4835

Dan

If you file Form 4835 is a 1099-misc. form required to be filed if you give a person more than $600 in custom hire work? 

I know the 1099-misc. form is required if you file the Schedule F form but what about Form 4835? 

Look for your reply.

I believe that 1099s are required if the expense is incurred in the conduct of a "trade or business."  I think the Sch F would be a trade, whereas the 4835 would be a business, assuming a profit motive for the rental.  I think that it would be required.  This is not a definite answer - I did not look anything up.

The person receives a CRP payment from the government each year for 10 to 15 years as a result of putting land into grass.  The government than requires that maintenance work be done and the cost this year to do maintenance work cost the tax payer more than $600.

Form 4835 is a Farm Rental Income and Expense form.  So if the tax filer files this form, is a 1099-misc form required if the filer pays over $600 to someone to do custom hire