ATX Community

Apparently Received a Call From Fake IRS Agent.. Not Sure

Chowdahead

Last week, in the middle of a busy day and sitting with a client I received a call at my office from a number listed in Georgia with the IRS identifying it as "IRS".  Another staff member picked up the line but when they transferred it to me the line was dead.  Several minutes later my cell phone rang with the words "US GOVT" on the screen and the number 1-678-537-8873. I answered and the male voice asked me for by first and last name.

I was immediately on the defensive because I know the IRS does not call and does not ask for identifying information.  However, the person sounded professional and identified himself as being from the IRS, gave me his name and ID number and said he was calling to follow-up on a certified letter sent to preparers in October (me mentioned the specific date) reminding of them of due diligence requirements for the EITC and ACTC etc. However, I know that many preparers received that letter so it was common knowledge. Then he said he needed to confirm some information from me.

I was immediately skeptical but I felt that if he didn't ask me for any info that wasn't already public info, I'd play along.  He asked me to confirm my name and full office address. Then he asked to verify the last 4 digits of my EFIN or SSN.  At that point I told him that I could not provide such sensitive information over the phone  For a second he seemed to stumble for words, then he stated that then he could not continue with the phone call.  He gave me a phone number and e-mail address (which was printed on the October letter I believe) to contact if I had any questions.  Then the call ended.

I did a Google search for that number and there seem to be quite a few complaints online from people receiving a calls fake IRS agents from this Georgia phone number and they warn not to give any personal information.  Obviously there have been IRS scams has been perpetrated on the public for at least a year but they usually involve claims of IRS debt and warnings of arrest or garnishment if not paid.  Even I got one of those spam calls over the past summer.

But this is the first time I have been targeted as a preparer.  My guess is that this individual would have said he couldn't verify the last four digits of my PTIN then would have asked me to ready my full PTIN or SSN back to him to verify.  Then he may have attempted to get me to provide personal information on my clients.  I tried several times to call that number back but the lines goes dead immediately.

Or maybe I'm wrong and it was actually the real IRS and I didn't cooperate with the phone call :unsure:.  But I'm skeptical because the IRS explicitly stated that they never call.   They communicate via letter.  I also find it doubtful that they would be calling On Feb 7. in the middle of peak tax season, when they are just as busy.  My thought is this is a scam timed to take advantage paid preparers being busy and distracted and perhaps more susceptible to being duped.

I wanted to warn you guys in case you see a similar call.

• Like 6