ATX Community

Schedule F and Form 4835

Dan

Are you able to file both a Schedule F and Form 4835 in the same tax year?  

For example a farmer has turned his farm ground over to a tenant to farm.  That would go on Form 4835.

The same farmer has ground in the CRP program in which he materially participates.  That would go on Schedule F.

Am I correct in the above examples?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dan said:

Are you able to file both a Schedule F and Form 4835 in the same tax year?  

For example a farmer has turned his farm ground over to a tenant to farm.  That would go on Form 4835.

The same farmer has ground in the CRP program in which he materially participates.  That would go on Schedule F.

Am I correct in the above examples?

Yes, you can have both forms, certainly,  I will add that If tenant pays farmer a flat rate (if farmer's pay is not based upon the production of the tenant) you'd use Sch E instead of Form 4835. You probably know that, but somebody else might need that info later on.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TaxmannEA said:

Yes, it's possible. I have several people in the same position.

Are you treated as materially participating in a farming activity if you materially participated for 5 or more of the eight years before you turned over the farming to a tenant?  In other words, can you file schedule F for 5 years after you turn over the farming business to a tenant or must you use Form 4835 the first year?  The only test you meet is test 5 of the material participation test.

The problem with CRP payments is that the regs state that they need to be reported on Sch F. Early on, some farmers were putting the CRP payments on Sch E to avoid SE tax.   If I have a farmer who rents his crop ground out but has CRP paid to him, I'll report the CRP on Sch F and the rent on Sch E or 4835 depending on circumstances.  ( Cash rent or share-crop.) If the TP is over 65, there is no SE tax on the CRP.  I also have farmers such as my self who rent part of the farm out and continue to raise livestock or crop a small remainder. These will file both forms as they are involved in both activities.  I also have one client who has never farmed but who bought a small farm which had a CRP contract in place. I report those payments on his Sch E with cash rent paid on a portion of the acreage as he has never farmed and the intent of the reg requiring inclusion on the F doesn't apply in that case.