ATX Community

FYI: Another Scam Email

GraceNY

Talked to a CPA/Partner at a relatively large firm the other day.  She received an email with the subject line being the return of an e-file authorization form.  Suspicious.  CPA did not recognize the name/sender and also the e-file authorizations are not returned to any of the CPAs/Partners.  They go to the dedicated e-file support staff.  She checked with the e-file support staff and sure enough not on their client list.  IT department got involved and determined it was a malicious email.  Also, this same email was sent to all 9 of the other partners.  Scammer probably got their email addresses from the firm's website.

Grace

• Like 2

Just received this email earlier today. As far as I know, none of my clients use "Dropbox."

I wonder what percent of recipients will click on this link, especially if they have clients who do use Dropbox ?

glyph_34@2x.png

You've received a document from your address book contact.

Sender's comment:
"Please review"

View Protected Document (Valid Credentials Required)

Thank you!
The 'Dropbox" Team
  • Like 2

Run run run, I had a similar email and it was sent from my client but it was from his hacked email account, turned out to be a nasty virus and it will steal your email contacts and continue to spread.

Actually several of my clients do use drop box that's why they didn't suspect it and openew it and it in turn sent it to me.

• Like 2