ATX Community

Preparing State Return From IRS Transcript

GeneInAlabama

This year I have quit preparing income tax returns.  At age 80 I realize that my mind is not as good as it used to be and I don't feel that it is fair to my clients to prepare tax returns.  I am still doing a little bookkeeping, payroll, and sales tax.  I will still be doing a few free tax returns for my children and grandchildren through the IRS free file.  I do have a question.  My son lost all his tax information for 2015 in his car that caught fire and everything in it including his tax information was lost.  He is a union employee and works for multiple employers.  He can't remember who all he worked for that year and the IRS transcript doesn't show state withholding.  Would it be kosher to show withholding as amount owed and let the state send a refund or a bill for balance owed?  Opinions appreciated.

In the past IL required for a IL-W-2 to be submitted, a simple call would solve the problem, today the state has no record per employee, just the overall of the company, I would just use the states' tax rate and make the sign of the cross that they don't ask for proof. 

MAS

I  like the OP's method better.  file with a balance due and await the notice.  I think that's better than using estimated amounts for a document that you are supposed to have in your hand before filing a return.  And I am sure all states match the withholding with the records of the employer.  We get notices of discrepancies all the time here in NY

• Like 2

When it is just one state (for example, mine) I make my best guess and file - they correct and send a bill or refund.  But I like the idea of using zero and letting the state figure it out.  You could append an explanatory letter stating the amount of withheld tax is unknown because...  

• Like 3

If you request a wage and income transcript it includes the details of the information returns, and that should give you the employers' names. You son will then have the list of employers he worked for and can contact each of them for a copy of his W-2s.

• Like 3

Thanks everyone.  I think I will do as Judy suggested.  The transcript will show who his employers were doing the year and my son can write to them ask for another copy.  I was going to send a request to the IRS for a copy of the return including W2s and 1099s which costs $50.00, but after rereading the instructions, it appears that a return has to be filed first.

• Like 1