ATX Community

Nurse Meal Allowance?

Tax Prep by Deb

I have a couple of registered nurses who work at hospitals that require them to stay on site thru meal breaks.  Both of these have stated that other nurses have told them they can deduct their meal expenses.  I have looked but have not been able to come up with anything to substantiate that claim.  Do any of you know anything about this?

Deb, Someone may be reading them in this direction....2106 instructions-overnight...Still doesn't make it right.

stastandard meal allowance.
Instead of actual cost, you may be
able to claim the standard meal
allowance for your daily meals and
incidental expenses (M&IE) while
away from your tax home overnight.
Under this method, instead of keeping
records of your actual meal expenses,
you deduct a specified amount,
depending on where you travel.
However, you must still keep records
to prove the time, place, and business
purpose of your travel.
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Elrod said:

Deb, Someone may be reading them in this direction....2106 instructions-overnight...Still doesn't make it right.

standard meal allowance.
Instead of actual cost, you may be
able to claim the standard meal
allowance for your daily meals and
incidental expenses (M&IE) while
away from your tax home overnight.
Under this method, instead of keeping
records of your actual meal expenses,
you deduct a specified amount,
depending on where you travel.
However, you must still keep records
to prove the time, place, and business
purpose of your travel.

If that's what they're using, well, regardless of what they're using, explain that "a person's tax home is the city or general vicinity where his or her primary place of business or work is located, regardless of the location of the individual's residence," and ask them if they are traveling away from their tax home.  No, they're not.

• Like 3

Deb:

Needless to say, you are right, but you will not be doing those returns in the future.  Send them a note next year, "Call me when you need me"  Because the preparer that is giving them the "Nurse's Meals" is also giving the "Fireman's and Policeman's Meal's" deductions as well.  Not withstanding the fake $14k Sch C so you can claim the full EITC..

Rich

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, Richcpaman said:

Deb:

Needless to say, you are right, but you will not be doing those returns in the future.  Send them a note next year, "Call me when you need me"  Because the preparer that is giving them the "Nurse's Meals" is also giving the "Fireman's and Policeman's Meal's" deductions as well.  Not withstanding the fake $14k Sch C so you can claim the full EITC..

Rich

Actually they both were OK with my way of doing it.  Especially when I explain the rules.  Both want It done right and the first one that had asked me about it has been coming back for years.  I just thought that maybe I had missed something and wanted a second opinion

• Like 5

Just please note it is different IF they are called on-duty "for the duration" of an emergency.  For example, a nurse client of mine was called in, in advance of a big snowstorm (not today's!) to be working/available for three days.  On her "off" shifts they made a hotel room available for sleeping, bathing, etc.  And gave the nurses so called in a meals allowance.  Had they not been given a meals allowance, I can see the cost of those meals - where they were stuck due to employer mandates and weather - as being possibly added to a 2106.  

That is a hugely different situation from dinner break on your regular shift, though.

• Like 3

Back in the 80s it was widely circulated in FDNY (I think by the union) that we could deduct "destroyed meals."  The thinking was if you had a fire call in the middle of the meal and returned in too long a time the meal would be inedible.  I don't know if that would pass muster though.  Can a police officer deduct a half finished donut (no pun intended), or a nurse deduct half a salad from the commissary, I don't think so.

One particular experience I had in a not so pleasant neighborhood, was when we had a fire call, one of the guys forgot to close the apparatus door upon leaving.  When we returned, our shoes were gone, the kitchen TV was gone, and a tray of lasagna was gone.  I would think that would be a deduction.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Tax Prep by Deb said:

Actually they both were OK with my way of doing it.  Especially when I explain the rules.  Both want It done right and the first one that had asked me about it has been coming back for years.  I just thought that maybe I had missed something and wanted a second opinion

This is the way it should go.  Good for you, Deb.  And them.  Trying to prove a negative (no, you can't do that because a, b, c) is one of the hardest parts of our jobs, in my opinion.  I won a hobby skirmish yesterday with a potential new client who had five and six digit losses for years in a photography endeavor.  Well, me and a good client handout won it.

"I have receipts for all of this."

"Yes, Sir, I know you do.  It seems like what you lack here is a profit motive..."  After the usual back and forth, I told him to go home, read this, and discuss with your wife [who has a large tolerance for losses and a nice salary in a good job] and see if you agree.  He came back with his wife and they both said, "Yes, you are right, we can't be taking these losses, you're hired."

I didn't know if it was them talking or the wine per diem for a minute there.

• Like 9

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 6:27 AM, RitaB said:

I won a hobby skirmish yesterday with a potential new client who had five and six digit losses for years in a photography endeavor. 

Four and five digit losses.  Sorry, first day of wine per diem. 

Yes, I woke up this morning realizing this.  Tell me I'm not the only one who does this.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, FDNY said:

Absolutely, how else to get through the day with some of these shenanigans.  If you expand out my picture (click on it, then click it again) which was taken during my lunch break you will see what I mean.

Yeah...But Bill.... at least you have a drinking buddy....Mine just always wants to go fishing....

giphy.gif

• Like 5

2 hours ago, RitaB said:

Four and five digit losses.  Sorry, first day of wine per diem. 

Yes, I woke up this morning realizing this.  Tell me I'm not the only one who does this.

I actually meant tell me I'm not the only one who wakes up thinking about mistakes I made.  I don't drink wine at work, but I may start now.   LMAO.  And be sure to hide your wine glasses behind the printer. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Catherine said:

You can drink with a fishin' buddy!

I know Catherine.....BUT..!

I scared my wife so bad......She ain't goin' wit me anymore...

giphy.gif

Then I talked my brudder to go wit me, BUT..! he's got a screwy boat.

giphy.gif

Then I done lost my favorite fish, I loved Sooo... Much..

giphy.gif

• Like 5