ATX Community

Behind, On Target, Ahead?

Yardley CPA

Where are you relative to years past?  As of today, I am moderately behind on prep work as I have a number of returns waiting to be started (I have the information, just haven't begun them).  I'm way behind on getting the completed packets to the clients.  Once my client reviews the completed returns and delivers me the signed 8879's, I transmit the e-File.  Once the e-File is accepted, I prepare a packet of information for the client including copies of the returns with my signature.  Still have to prepare many of the packets.   

• Like 4

My office cleaning lady (me) is behind.  My copy and assembly and receptionist girls (me, me, me) almost had a breakdown(s) last week because of staples and unopened envelopes and that one guy who comes in when she's closing the blinds and already clocked out and stayed an hour and the time change and something about a wine per diem.   My preparer (me) is doing great.  I think.  I like thinking that and it's the first day of spring and will be 70 degrees and sunny here today, per my weather girl (me). 

I am about where I always am, perhaps a little ahead. 

• Like 10

I'm moving along but a little slower than last year with about a dozen waiting on info and the fact that I need driver's license info for about a hundred NY returns.  I failed to put the request in my letter because I didn't know about the requirement on 1/2 when my letters go out (actually all set up in Dec.).  I do include a sentence in the letter to please remove all documents from envelopes, but only 75% compliance.  At least I have a cleaning lady and assistant, but don't say anything, if she heard me call her that I'm dead, uh oh, here she is, gotta go...

• Like 7

March madness around here, like always.  I'm very tired, and that makes everything seem worse than it really is.  Funny thing, I feel like people are dragging their feet about giving me additional information, but then I look at when I sent the email and it was only about 3 days ago.  Feels like 3 weeks.

• Like 8

I am behind, but also ahead.

I have engaged 16% more returns then I had in the office last year at this same time, so that makes me ahead.

My completion rate is on par with the prior year, so that is good.

But I am behind in billing, and that is troubling.

Otherwise, its 29 days left...

Rich

• Like 5

I feel behind, because all those partnerships clogged up the last month while 1040s kept dropping off.  And, when I think I can pick up speed on personal returns now with no more stops for businesses, they're missing info and the new NY DL requirement and the time change and I'm tired and my granddaughter will be here for a few days next week and every single one has something new -- I retired; I received this 1099; I moved to a new state last summer; my kid dropped out of college and moved back home; my health insurance changed.  You know, I was really good about asking for DL at the beginning of the season, but spending a couple weeks/a month on biz returns broke my stride.  I've been forgetting, and then have to wait for them to upload a copy or fax.  I'm using the E word as of today and just hope that my back log before today can be completed by the deadline.  Today received tax info from a client who emailed me 3/2 about giving me his documents, and I told him as of 3/2 we could file on time; don't think he'll be happy today when I tell him as of 3/20 we cannot file on time.  I think I have more in-house/complete this year with new clients, but I have more that I haven't touched right now that at this time last year.

• Like 5

I feel like I'm a little behind on the personals because of having to meet the earlier deadline for some of the business entities, new returns, some complications with existing ones.  I really don't keep track.  More of the personals came in earlier this year, possibly because they actually did receive the documents earlier from brokers and other payers.  Other than maybe a handful, just about every return has some issue. Nothing is going smoothly this year, but the clients don't know that.  They are all happy, and that is a good thing.

I am very, very tired and am working in slo-mo. I could audition for one of those zombies on The Walking Dead.

• Like 8

I'm pretty sure that I'm behind in completed returns. I haven't checked lately. I definitely have plenty to do, with a lot of complicated returns. Many of my clients have been much later than normal this year, which is driving me nuts. I did check and I don't have information from several that are not normally this late. I do know that I will have extensions to file for a few that passed away and their reps are still pulling information together. I now have eight envelopes of information mailed to me by one clients that have arrived at various times. I'm not sure when it will be safe to finish. Another one is faxing me more info today that they found after three mailings. I could just cry. Getting all of the information for kids and tuition has been a real drag this year, they always have to get it to me later, even though it was in my letter. My being so sick and then my mom getting really sick last week did not help me at all. I lost my husband's (receptionist) help for all of last week while he stayed with my mom. 

I am tired, crabby and just want to get as much work done as possible before the 16th, because my son just told me that he can come home for Easter for a couple of days and I want to be able to spend some time with him.

• Like 6

Hahahaha, I love you guys.  I have a stack of returns where people owe.  Pretty soon it will be time for me to change the greeting to, "Hey, this is Rita. Come get your sh*t.  Yeah, I'm here, why are you even wondering?  Come get your sh*t.  Don't even wait for the beep.  Hang up now."

• Like 11

I have no idea if I am behind or ahead - but by Tuesday, I *will* be behind.  We lost my husband's aunt last fall, and the cousins scheduled her memorial service for THIS Saturday, in St Louis MO.  So we'll be flying out Friday and back Sunday and somewhere between now and then I have to find time to get the hair colored because the grey racing stripe is now an entire sub-continent on my head.  And I have Monday scheduled as "out" because about half the time I fly I end up with a nasty migraine and so cannot schedule for the day after.  Taking a chance on the memorial service being a day after flying but I can always sit in the back looking pale and wan.

• Like 7

I am so far behind I don't know when I will see the light of day.  I've lost count of how many returns have been dropped off and are waiting. I'm up 25% from last year - and I was up 45% last year from the previous year.  Local CPA firm was acquired by a larger company and decided to double and sometimes triple their fees.  It's been good for business. This is the last year I will attempt it as a one-woman operation.  Next year I will be hiring some administrative help.  But, hey, maybe there won't be a next year since I just received a text saying my mobile number had been randomly selected and I have won $2,000,000! :o

• Like 12

18 hours ago, Catherine said:

I have no idea if I am behind or ahead - but by Tuesday, I *will* be behind.  We lost my husband's aunt last fall, and the cousins scheduled her memorial service for THIS Saturday, in St Louis MO.  So we'll be flying out Friday and back Sunday and somewhere between now and then I have to find time to get the hair colored because the grey racing stripe is now an entire sub-continent on my head.  And I have Monday scheduled as "out" because about half the time I fly I end up with a nasty migraine and so cannot schedule for the day after.  Taking a chance on the memorial service being a day after flying but I can always sit in the back looking pale and wan.

Water is your friend.  Hydrate excessively, beginning at least 24 hours  before you fly, sipping all during the flight, and continue into the day after. Some people suggest that the discomfort experienced from flying is primarily altitude sickness. The cabin is pressurized to 8,000 ft, so the closer to sea level one normally lives, the more pronounced the negative effects, even from a relatively short flight. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, JohnH said:

The cabin is pressurized to 8,000 ft,

I know about hydration and altitude; getting that clue was what suddenly turned our trips to NM (Los Alamos is at 7300 feet) from exhausted-headachey the whole time to a few hours of reminding myself not to run.  It's not altitude sickness; it's my inner ear fighting with my eyes, because they are telling me that we are moving up, down, sideways, etc., while my eyes are telling me nope we're staying in one place.  Plus the overall pressure changes.  Years and years ago, I would get a migraine every time a low-pressure storm system moved through the area.  But thank you - and I will try that!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Catherine said:

I know about hydration and altitude; getting that clue was what suddenly turned our trips to NM (Los Alamos is at 7300 feet) from exhausted-headachey the whole time to a few hours of reminding myself not to run.  It's not altitude sickness; it's my inner ear fighting with my eyes, because they are telling me that we are moving up, down, sideways, etc., while my eyes are telling me nope we're staying in one place.  Plus the overall pressure changes.  Years and years ago, I would get a migraine every time a low-pressure storm system moved through the area.  But thank you - and I will try that!

Most of what I believe to be true about flying comfort comes from a pro sports team physician who flew with the teams a lot. His flying rules, which I follow rigorously,  were:  1) Hydration - top priority before, during, and after; 2) No alcohol of any kind;  3) No carbonated beverages of any kind; 4) No sleep aids of any kind.  He had even more stringent rules for long-haul flights. 

I always board any flight with at least 1 liter of water per 2 hours, taken in little sips.   (I never depend on the flight attendants to provide enough water, although I always ask for it when they come around for cabin service to supplement my own supply, and I go to the galley & ask them to refill my bottle when it gets low on very long flights).  We lose fluid via skin evaporation in the arid cabin air, but even if the excess water causes frequent trips to the restroom, that's ok too since moving about is helpful in avoiding DVT (along with mandatory compression sleeves). 

Sounds like your problem may be complicated by something similar to vertigo.  Hope you complete the trip without too much discomfort.

• Like 3

This year is one of my strangest every.  Many of my April filers came in February, quite a few of my February came in March, but dollar wise I am still about 10% ahead of last year at this time.  So I'm still sitting pretty good.  I'm pretty sure that I lost a few clients that normally come in early February probably to the do it yourself software available, but I bet in a year or two they will be back.  It seems that they always come back.

• Like 7

so how do you keep track to know you are up 16%?

I am still doing January's - 24 from then yet

the W-2's being filed by 1/31 threw us for a loop - office manager of 14 years leaving in August was a curve ball and then finding Sunday Jan 29th - even my payroll was wrong! from 1st and 2nd quarter - sometimes change is not a bad thing!

But all new staff - longest now officially 1 year in March - wow, taxes are like a foreign language!

and for every 1 that did their own or I took too long - 3 more come in..

trying to sleep this year as dad had vascular dementia which is from brain cells dying! and eventually all the brain is white as it keeps using the ones we do not use but eventually from lack of sleep - they are all used up - sound familiar folks!!

Feb - I made it to bed by midnite 6 times..

March -what time is that - I went to bed at 6:30 am and 4 am but slept to 9:30..

so heading off now. - after this return - and yes they all seem to be messier. Between 8867's and 1095-A, I am ready to scream -

I guess my letter to Trump will have to wait until after April 18th, maybe May 1st as we only have 8 days!! to do quarterlie's - and why do we even have to do extensions - IRS says yes - can't they just realize if we do not file by April, it will be October - and then they can look for tax payers - it takes ssssooooo long to rollover and file extensions!

love the pics!!

but until we have a consumer tax and IRS loses their job security - what'cha going to do?

• Like 2

WiTaxLady:

Wow.  That is a lot of stuff going on.

The ATX extension process is a PITA.  Roll it over, go to each one, 13-20 steps later, you have two extensions that can be efiled.  Stupid.

They have the process from the Return Manager that will "print" your extensions... but that doesn't help to efiling, and your computer is locked up for 4 hours while it processes them all.

How do I know I am 16% ahead of last year?  How many engaged to prepare now as compared to the same date last year.   350/300=16% 

But we are not keeping up with getting them done..

Rich 

• Like 2