ATX Community

TOTALLY non-tax but wow!

Catherine

HUGE bald eagle flew at low altitude over my car and then landed in front of me (I was going slowly to start with, and stopped). First time I've seen one live and in person. This was in Lexington MA, barely a 1/2 mile from a major interstate highway.

Wow. Just wow.

• Like 14

It is awesome to see them in person.

I had that experience some years ago at Prime Hook Wildlife Refuge. We were fishing its canals and had an eagle fly straight down the canal toward us, swoop down and pluck a carp out of the water. He was close enough and being wet, he didn't get much altitude as he then flew directly over us. It was a surreal moment like right out of Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom show. It sounds corny, but I still remember seeing the eagle with that carp in its talons and the carp's scales glistening in the sun.

• Like 2

we see them hanging out around a minnow place near here (we are in the middle of WI near nothing for them ;))

and across the state when traveling along the Mississippi - we always say Hello Jeremy - reminds us our son is watching over us! and to remember him... that (those) eagles show up at the darndest times and places...

• Like 2

There are two that nest in a tree on the side of a lake in the Berkshires, MA where I go often.  I've seen them swoop down with talons out to grab a fish.  They had a baby eagle ( a chick?  I don't know, I'm a city kid) and I once saw it  learning to fly from one side of the lake to the other.  Being from the city I used to think all birds were pigeons and those little brown ones.

One of my clients used to send me his W2 by carrier pigeon, well, maybe not, but he could have if he wanted to, now that's a smart bird.

• Like 2

We used to take our boy scouts to Squaw Creek National Wildlife Refuge near Mound City, MO.  It is known as the snow geese capital of the world. Eagles eat snow geese.  In the fall there are at least 100,000 snow geese migrating south and they stop at the wildlife refuge.  The eagles follow them.  Two hundred to three hundred eagles.  They also have a demonstration and show off 2 - 3 eagles inside a barn.  They even let them fly around in there.

• Like 2

Yes, I saw that too, some bird that was being fed in tiny morsels. There was also the remains of some fur-covered small animal that looks like a rabbit in there and over to the left edge something that was attracting a few flies. A buffet with choices.

• Like 4