ATX Community

Co-Signer 1099C

Patrick Michael

Why does it seem I always get this odd ball situations that I have never dealt with before late in the season!

Mother co-signed for her daughter on a car loan. Daughter defaulted and loan was forgiven.  Both mother and daughter received a 1099-C. My research led me to Treasury Regulation Sec. 1.6050P-1(7) that says that for purposes of filing, "a guarantor is not a debtor."  Mother has tried to get the creditor to correct the 1099-C but they refuse. 

Is this another case where I should include the income on line 21 and then back it out on line 21 with an explanation that the 1099-C was issued in error to avoid a CP2000 notice? 

Thanks.

File form 982 if they were insolvent. They were liable for the whole amount each and they were both forgiven that amount. Creditor is correct and there is no way the creditor will bend the rules. Let's say that the daughter was insolvent, then she files 982 and she is off the hook. If the mother was solvent, she will have two choices, to pay for the debt or pay taxes on the debt forgiven.

2 hours ago, Patrick Michael EA said:

Same amount on both, one in the mother's SSN and the other in the daughters SSN. 

This stinks, imagine if mother and daughter go to a different preparer they both pay taxes for the same amount :angry:  Knowing the IRS they might want for your client to contact the creditor and to correct the 1099-C to the proper person.