ATX Community

the program has encountered an unexpected error and needs to close

Oh Baby!

Has anyone received this message recently?  I am getting with every file I try to open. I looked back in this chat and see that this message was received by others in 2012 and 2013 software. But none of the solutions in those discussions seem to fit my scenario.

If you have received this error message recently and resolved it, please share.

I have had the problem while printing.  I do as Rita, close the dialog box - by clicking on the x, not the OK.  I then save and close my return.  I then close out of the program and immediately re-open the program.  This seems to happen when I have been printing a large number of returns or a few large returns.  I have reasoned that it is a resource issue and move on until the next episode.  Minor-ly inconvenient - but nothing more.

38 minutes ago, jasdlm said:

About every 3rd return, I have to completely close out of the software and reenter to get it to print.

For the last 3 or 4 years, the ATX tax programs have had several chronic glitches:

1.  While printing returns, the printer cache gets filled up with garbage generated by the ATX   Program.

2.  Your systems RAM gets gradually filled up with more garbage generated by the ATX Program.

Leaving the program and coming back in will will partially deal with these problems.

Leaving the program and rebooting your system will clear out all of the garbage.

• Like 3

Programming wise, an unexpected error (reported by Windows), means something has happened which the application itself is not designed to handle.  For instance, a memory corruption.  The message is actually quite accurate...

Ideally, the application "hooks" all such errors and inserts its own error handling routine.  There can be cases where some outside influence prevents the application from hooking and trapping all errors.  Usually these errors are caused by more than one program trying to use the same memory address (which should never happen unless one program has hard coded an address or does not handle missing items).

• Like 1

This only happens when I have too much crap starting up automatically and I open the program as soon as I can (while the computer is still booting up). I normally close it and wait a minute to let the crap stop using my computer resources and then it opens correctly.

• Like 1

not true! happened again today - long return - lost again all inputted in last 15 minutes - nothing else running and not because there are too many assets - I am always asked that!

happens at least 2-3x a month

roulette if you can click out and stuff is saved or like today it was all lost back to yesterday's info!!

not as bad as prior years but it is still there and ATX  - this year we put 2016 on it's own dedicated server so too much was not on it...

you have a nasty glitch. I wonder when I am going to switch - altho' this year the price paid for the concierge service has paid off - I just wish it was not necessary at all!!

1 hour ago, taxbrewster said:

if I leave my software open for an extended period and my machine goes to sleep

Both are things you should not do. Business computers should use the High Performance power option with no sleep or hibernation. I close ATX after every large return or two small returns.

1 hour ago, WITAXLADY said:

that is an interesting idea -  but what is High performance power option?

thx

I don't know what version of Windows you are using, but at the very least go to your system settings and turn off all of the power savings settings.

On Windows 7 Pro, there is a high performance setting. The most important thing is to keep your hard disk spinning so that the ATX program doesn't lose

contact with the various ATX servers set up on your system.

Just be sure to click on the save icon every 5-10 minutes.  I spoke before about ATX Autosave function no working and was made fun of.  Autosave has not worked since 2012.  If you are not clicking the save icon every 5-10 minutes, and the program crashes as described in the above posts, be ready to cry and re-input information.  ATX is NOT seeking any answers to this issue.

I guess this is my "I told you so" post.