ATX Community

Taxpayer PIN Question

MAMalody

I have a letter from the IRS showing a 6 digit PIN for the wife. (She filed MFS last year).  ATX is saying that the PIN should only be 5 digits.  It is also saying that the husband (who filed MFS) last year) is also required to have a PIN.  His return did not have any problems last year. What's the deal here?

I used the Filers Info tab to enter the info into the ATX software.  It was a six digit number (software says it must be a 5 digit number). Error says:

1040 EF Info  Error  For MFS filers, if the taxpayer enters a PIN, the spouse must also and vice versa.

1040 EF Info Error  The spouse's PIN must be 5 digits in length and may not equal to 5 zeros (00000)

Any additional clues would be helpful.

Not using ATX. In Drake there is a box to include the IPPIN. Are you sure there are no other areas to enter this information. It sounds like the PIN that you are talking about is the normal 5 digit pin entered either by the taxpayer or ERO. I know your frustrated but just curious.

3 minutes ago, MAMalody said:

I used the Filers Info tab to enter the info into the ATX software.  It was a six digit number (software says it must be a 5 digit number). Error says:

1040 EF Info  Error  For MFS filers, if the taxpayer enters a PIN, the spouse must also and vice versa.

1040 EF Info Error  The spouse's PIN must be 5 digits in length and may not equal to 5 zeros (00000)

Any additional clues would be helpful.

The six digit IPIN goes on the filer info tab on Form 1040.  This client has had Identity issues in the past.

The five digit number you are referring to is the number on the 1040 efile tab.  This 5 digit number can be any 5 digits you wish it to be. 

Two totally different things.  

• Like 2

On 4/4/2017 at 5:02 PM, jasdlm said:

The 'filer's info tab' is where you go to enter birth dates, phone numbers, date of  death, etc. It is not on the 1040EF tab, but rather on the 1040 tab.  Definitely 6 digits right under 'check if blind'.

That is exactly where I have it entered.  I  have a copy of the IRS letter so I know I have the correct number.  This is becoming a source of irritation. Wait a minute.........  

I finally figured it out.  I forgot to enter the PIN number for the efile tab.  Once I put the number in there, all is okay.  Sorry about unloading on you all.

• Like 4