ATX Community

Form 982: Reduction of Tax Attributes

Chowdahead

Good afternoon.  I need a clarification.  When filing Form 982 based on a taxpayer receiving a 1099-C due to a short sale of their principal residence, does any of the amount from the 1099-C need to be included on the 1040, or does entering the excluded income from the 1099-C on the 982 and filing it with the return appropriate?  I know that ATX doesn't carry any amounts from the 982 to the 1040.

The reason I as is because including the excluded income it on the 1040 creates quite a tax liability.  I just want to make sure it doesn't have to be included and the IRS will calculate the reduced liability after processing the Form 982.

Thanks!

Chowdahead...I just completed that form on a return.  I included the 1099-C amount on the 982.  I did not reflect it anywhere else on the return.  It was my understanding that they will review the 982 and determine the next step.  In my clients case, I had them complete the Insolvency Worksheet in anticipation of the IRS requesting that. 

Primary Residence doesn't need insolvency to be "not taxable" but you have to reduce the basis by that amount.  When you get a 1099-C you have two choices: Taxable or not taxable. Then you have to report it on line 21 (1040) if taxable or on 982 if not taxable.