ATX Community

Need Driver's License Info for Extension

Don in Upstate NY

I don't knoe if it's software specific, but at least in TaxWise you need the Driver's License information to e-file an extension.  You don't need a signature, or last year's AGI, or anything complicated like that, but without the driver's license info its a no go.  You can file a NY extension for your registered client without any hassle on the NY website.

• Like 1

Idea seems to be catching on in other states, and I think we have to deal with this as a fact of life.  Alabama has started requiring drivers' license, supposedly to combat identity fraud.  I think the real reason is they want to offset refunds for back child support, unpaid driving violations or anything else owed to the state or subdivisions.  Of course they already have the information, but are requiring it so they don't have research anything or pull it up on their systems.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grandmabee said:

I have a nonresident that has some NY source income.  do they no accept the federal 4868 if getting a refund?

Nope.  NYS no longer accepts Federal Form 4868. 

2 minutes ago, Edsel said:

Idea seems to be catching on in other states, and I think we have to deal with this as a fact of life.  Alabama has started requiring drivers' license, supposedly to combat identity fraud.  I think the real reason is they want to offset refunds for back child support, unpaid driving violations or anything else owed to the state or subdivisions.  Of course they already have the information, but are requiring it so they don't have research anything or pull it up on their systems.

I think NYS is also looking for so-called "Non-Residents."  Still using NYS Driver's License.  Hmmmm maybe not a non-resident at all.

My whole beef with this driver's license info is that it has to be entered in the federal filer's info tab (at least with ATX and my understanding is Federal is optional for now) and it gets transferred to the NYS EF form with the exception of the document number.  The IRS's systems have been hacked 3 times (tax info, PIN system, and now FAFSA filing system).  It's really comforting  to know that if anyone hacks the IRS now not only do they get name, DOB, SSN, and address, but now they'll get enough info to put together a fake NYS Driver's license and slap their own picture on it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, GraceNY said:

now they'll get enough info to put together a fake NYS Driver's license and slap their own picture on it.

Ah, yes - because with government, no matter how noble the intention (fraud prevention, here) ultimately whatever they do has the opposite affect.  LOL.

lacerte doesn't require the dl info for extensions, proseries does.  I have been entering that they don't have one for the extensions with no money due [since I don't need authorizations nor any other reason for client contact at this time]  as soon as I file the extensions  unclick the not box so I don't forget to enter when I do the return.

• Like 1

I think the answer is Yes, but I'm going to file my NY commuters tonight as I'm still calculating if they need to send in payments.  As someone mentioned, so many transactions late in the year that I'm just finding out about over the last month as brokerage statements and K-1s and...arrived.

3 hours ago, Jack from Ohio said:

The REAL question here is:  Does NY require the DL information for extensions to be e-filed?

I think that NY implemented this so late into the programing season that the providers didn't have time to fine tune the programs.  It was announced after the season began and then they had to backpedal and say that they won't enforce any penalties this year.  And reading those little alphanumeric numbers is nearly impossible in person.  Emailed or faxed licenses are impossible to read.