ATX Community

What credit card company do you use?

iTransact has a deal with TaxWise, and it is incorporated through the software. Very easy to use, and affordable until this year. Apparently, there in the fine print, it says that they can add fees for services I don't sign up for, but must opt out of, and I was getting slammed from November 2016 until I found it after the season ended.

So, does anyone use a better company?

I use Square - have a reader for my iphone and ipad.  I find it works best with the ipad.  Fees vary from 2.75% per transaction (card present and swiped), to 3.25% (card not present and info keyed in by me).  They also have square invoicing (which I prefer to my keying in the info and incurring a higher % fee) which is sent from Square directly to the client; the invoice has a link for the client to click and enter their own credit card details.  It is double work to create the invoice in square (yeah, you have to print your invoice from your tax software, open the square website and create another invoice to send to the client).  They have reports which are helpful.  No fees incurred if you do not use their system.

• Like 3

I use three different sources, none of which charge me a monthly fee (per-transaction only).

1. PayPal link on my web site, so people can pay from home.
  2. QuickBooks credit cards.
  3. Drake ePay built into the software, two options (monthly fee for lower %-age, higher %-age and no fee; I use the latter).

I have a "stupid" phone, so the Square (and similar) is not possible for me. 

• Like 1

I use square.  Takes all credit and debit cards.  Easy to use and set up.  I don't do the invoicing from it, but I think I will add that feature next year for the clients that want to pay by credit card but don't actually come into the office.

Easy to set up, no hassles (except the constant emails marketing more services).  Price is not the cheapest out there, but the convenience can't be beat.

Tom
Newark, CA

• Like 2

I use Square.  We used to use QuickBooks, but the fee they charged monthly even when we did not accept any credit cards was unacceptable.  They were not supposed to be charging a fee, but after the first twelve months they were and I could not get them to stop the fee so I stopped the service and that was the end of that.  With Square, no monthly fees, just the deduction from each card swiped.  I had been using my phone with the reader, but that meant getting interrupted any time someone paid by card so I replaced my iPad and brought the old one to the office to use just for taking cards. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I use Square.  No issues.  Money is in my account in less than 48 hours every time.  Here is the typical scenario...

Client:  "Oh I forgot to bring my checkbook. can I stop by later, pay you and pick up my papers?"

Me: "Do you have your debit card?" (Everyone carries a debit or credit card)

Client:  "Oh, yes I do.  Can you use it for my bill?"

Me. :D

I raised my fees by more than 20% the year I started taking credit cards.  

Problem solved.

• Like 2

I use what I think is called Intuit Merchant Services, because it dumps the payment info, including fees, right into my QB.  As a ProAdvisor, I don't have the monthly fees, just the per-use charges.  I don't have a lot of clients, just big complex returns.  So, I don't have a lot of fees.  Most still prefer checks.  But, I also have a PayPal account.  I just want to make it as easy as possible for people to pay, and for me to account for it.  I too make sure my fees cover ALL my overhead costs as well as a profit.

• Like 2

I have a bunch of ways to take cards.  

1. Drake e-pay from right inside the software.  Fast payment to me, per-use fee only - nothing monthly.
  2. PayPal from my web site (works great for out-of-state and foreign clients).  Also just a per-transaction fee.
  3. QB like Lion has; per-use fee only.  For acctg clients or people with non-current-year tax returns (or several years at once) or non-e-filable returns, where doing it through Drake wouldn't work.

Drake's e-pay gets me $$ the fastest.  Paypal is next but it stays as a balance in that account until I transfer it (I leave some, and pay for CPE meetings from that account as my local society prefers that method).  QB takes longest to get me cash.

Not having a smart phone, all the little swipey readers are useless for me.

• Like 3