ATX Community

Which address to use?

Margaret CPA in OH

Resident alien client, new to me, has not filed since here in the US since arriving in 2010.  She has lost nearly $10K in refunds as her salary was over-withheld.  She is now coming clean but had to leave the US as the university where she teaches forgot to do something about her visa. So she currently is in Berlin (originally from Australia) and will be there until about April establishing temporary residence to apply for her green card here (apparently this is not uncommon).

We filed her 2013 returns in April just in time for the SOL and she received the refunds by check.  Now we are ready to file 2014, 2015 and 2016.  For 2016 we can efile and she can have direct deposit for federal refund but Ohio has to be a check as her driver's license expired Dec. 31, 2016.  She owns a home here, paid off, but is looking to lease it while out of the country.  What address should be used?  She has every intention of returning to Ohio and still is on staff at the university teaching from Berlin and doing research so a temporary absence.

She does have really good friends here whose address she probably could use for mailing purposes.  She is just worried that things might go missing if her house is leased.  She asked if my address could be used - not sure that's a good idea, though.  Ideas?

I would recommend against using your address.  The USPS does still have "General Delivery" but authorized pick up agents might be an issue.  I believe (but don't quote me on this) there is a limit to how long they will hold mail before it is returned to sender.  The UPS Store bought Mailboxes Etc some years ago; they have boxes for rent by the month that give a street address with unit number.  That might be a low-cost option if your client does not have friends she trusts to accept her check(s) for her.

I have some OH college student clients and know the strange tax things in that state (and get help from Jack).  But, have you checked with OH to see if there's an alternate ID if no current DL?  It's still cheaper for OH to do direct deposit than to generate and mail a paper check.

You are e-filing the current and two prior years, right?

Even fussy NY allows for any DL (most of my clients have CT DLs) and even no DL and still does DD.

Thanks for all your replies.  As it happens, I was at a function today sitting next to a local CPA who uses c/o her business address for several of her clients with dementia and efiles.  As the client uses direct deposit, I have now offered that option to her as she expects to return next spring.  She isn't here to set up a PO Box and who would be the designated receiver? 

I had forgotten that prior years can be efiled!  So 2014 and 2015 can both be efiled through ATX?  That would simplify so much!  Thanks for all these replies.

Just nosy ---  Did you file the 2010 and up returns so the statute of limitations applies?   Yes, there may be no money consequences BUT maybe something in her upcoming VISA and of course Green Card requirements.  With things as they are today, all T's corssed and I's dotted.

• Like 2

No, I didn't file 2010-2012 - yet. Honestly I didn't think it would matter but, you are correct, it might.  There won't be any refund coming and so sad she is losing out on so much money but it wouldn't hurt to just mail them in, I guess.  She doesn't have the W-2 from 2010, though, so not sure about filing without it.  Thanks for the suggestion!

• Like 1

I did try for 2010 documents but e-services has nothing at all reported.  I suspect she erred in remembering the first year here as 2010.All of her W-2's and IRS documents on e-services begin in 2011, the same year she bought her house.

I misunderstood how she received her mailed refunds from 2013.  The property manager forwarded them to Berlin but she is afraid of missing other mail.  She was reluctant to have direct deposit for 2013 but now is eager as the time factor is so significant.

Now if she would only respond to my emails!  Oh, for these refunds a daytime phone number is required.  Her number in Berlin won't work so I plan to put in mine.  Problematic?

There was a post few months back where preparer allowed to use office address for client and somehow client failed and IRS put lien on preparer house. I will never allow anyone to use my address. I do have foreign clients and option is use foreign address, PO Box or direct deposit. If they fail or USPS fail, not my problem.

• Like 1

Thanks, B. Jani, for this caution.  There are multiple issues, however, with your solutions. 

The foreign address is not in Ohio so some concern about continued official residency in the state and being a resident alien for several years.  She has only a temporary absence akin to a sabbatical for research but her tax home is still in Ohio. 

How can she have a PO Box now?  She is in Berlin.  Who would pay for it and who would monitor? 

We are using direct deposit in every case as she is due only refunds for every year, federal and state.  She is concerned about any correspondence from IRS not mailed checks.  As I wrote earlier, originally she was reluctant to use direct deposit but is now all for it.