ATX Community

Tax Newsletters / Subscriptions

Yardley CPA

The new season is basically upon us.  Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying December festivities!

Was hoping for some feedback on tax newsletters you may receive (whether free or paid) that provide general updates on taxes.  I prefer the updates to be personal tax information but I am very willing to receive corporate updates as well.  I receive emails from my CPA Societies but wanted to see what type of information you may receive or subscribe to?  With the anticipated changes that should take place the coming months, I'd like to stay as up to date as I can.

Thanks very much

• Like 1

On 12/7/2017 at 1:05 PM, FDNY said:

I read Kiplinger's Tax Letter every 2 weeks.  They cover all areas including enforcement issues.  Their lowest price is  $38/yr and I renew for 2 years at $68. 

Also, every 3 weeks my barber gives me updates.

I get my "Final" copy of Kiplinger about every quarter.  I signed up for them about10 years ago, but their analysis was a little projective ("we expect congress will pass XXX legislation and it will have this effect on your clients") and geared toward higher earning clients.   I did not renew, but about every 3 months my "Final" copy arrives in the mail.

Tom
Modesto, CA

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

23 hours ago, Christian said:

How do you get Kiplinger's for free I do wonder? :unsure:

Well, I wasn't aware you could get it for free until reading the above "Final Copy" posts.

Actually, I kind of liked the old "J.K.Lasser's Monthly Tax Letter".  It was simple, easy-to-read, about tax only, and was of practical use.  Only thing; the way you had to get it was by ordering the old layman's "yellow book" and it sort of cast doubt on your credibility as a preparer since anybody who saw it in your office figured that was your version of a "CCH/RIA library". 

I'm a paid subscriber (12 months-$38 to "The Kiplinger Tax Letter-P.O. Box 62301, Tampa, FL 33662-2301/1-800-544-0155).  Unfortunately, I'm "twice" subscribed since, as you know, they start sending "near-expire" letters about one or two months after you subscribe.  My wife has a PTIN (which I assume IRS-under their double-standard disclosure rules-gave them) and I, while aware of the "quick-expire" ruse but not paying attention, accidentally duplicated it with her solicitation notice.  They send two letters: "The Kiplinger Letter" and the "The Kiplinger TAX Letter".  I only wanted the "tax" letter since the other "regular" letter, as someone noted, is just projective (I.e.; it may rain/it may not rain). 

Now, I guess I'll try to do as the other "wise men/women" here do and never send money again. By the way, folks - do you get it regularly (as if subscribed) or just once a year or what? And do you get the "tax" (blue) letter or the "world situation" (beige) letter, or both?