ATX Community

CCH Portal----PDF Return attached to E-Mail

ICOUNT

I have  a couple of clients in the past have asked me to attach a copy of their return as a PDF to an E mail. I am aware of CCH Portal---the cost is approx. 450.  I know that adobe can be purchased for about 150 annually. Could anyone else suggest a program to encript a PDF file with password protection? Thank You

primopdf is free to download / install. Basically anything you want to print, change the printer to primopdf in the drop down box and before creating a pdf, hit the pdf security change button and enter the password you want to use. They use AES 128-bit encryption. If you want to turn a webpage, word document or anything else into a pdf - this will work quickly and easily. I've been using it for years. Since I'm cheap, I usually find a free option.

My scanner software is now a free program called NAPS2. It stands for Not Another PDF Scanner 2. It's ultra tiny, quick and customizable. I did a 187 page document that was <17 MBs. The program is up and running in 2 seconds on my computer. (NAPS2 is only about 22 mb in size for the entire program - very tiny)

I use Foxit Reader instead of adobe reader but you can't encrypt with the free version. Foxit is far faster than Adobe IMO.

• Like 1

For the vast majority of my clients, I email a secured pdf (using Adobe Acrobat Standard) version of their completed return.  Each client is aware of their password which opens the attachment.  This allows them to review their return and ask any questions.  I include the 8879 as part of the pdf.  If the returns looks good, they print the 8879, sign it and return it to me and that allows me to efile.  A few older clients who do not have email receive a paper copy of their return along with the 8879. 

Adobe Acrobat has been easy to use and has worked well for me. 

• Like 1

My CCH SiteBuilder website includes a basic portal:  FileShare.  Clients can upload documents to me; I can upload their returns and signature forms to them.  Each year, more clients give it a try.  You might already have what you need via your tax prep software, email software, website, Adobe, or have modules available at more modest cost for modest needs.  Ask them what they offer.