ATX Community

Question about Community Tax Software

Nomotaxes

I'm looking information concerning a software provider that goes by the name of Community Income Tax. They offer free software and charge a $15.00 fee per completed return. So you are paying $1,500.00/100 returns, which is about the cost if you bought a product like an ATX Max, but its more of a pay as you go, and you avoid the big up front cash fee. The software they offer is Taxwise which I am not at all of fan of after having used a couple of past seasons. Further it is Taxwise Online, which I am unsure of what impact the online version may create, so any Taxwise Online users please comment.

I am hoping that this is not the latest rendition of TRX. I once made the mistake of loading a horrid red gear tax product from TRX on an old XP machine and despite unloading and using various utility programs, I still continued to have a remnant of that terrible product popping up on that computer. Any details from possible Community Income Tax Software users is appreciated. I did used the search tab but no information was found regarding Community income Tax software.

1 hour ago, cbslee said:

Recently saw a TV ad for this company promising to save the caller thousands of dollars by reducing their unpaid tax debts

with one phone call to the IRS. :D

Not at all the same company I am referring to.  Link to what I was asking  about:  www.joincit.com

Concerning an online version of Taxwise software, I assume you have to be online to prepare a return? Are there any other significant differences vs. the common cd type software?

3 minutes ago, Nomotaxes said:

Not at all the same company I am referring to.  Link to what I was asking  about:  www.joincit.com

Concerning an online version of Taxwise software, I assume you have to be online to prepare a return? Are there any other significant differences vs. the common cd type software?

Many of these give continued access to your data files as long as you renew. In other words, if you switch to other software then you may lose access at that point. You would definitely need to consider that and save copies of returns as pdfs or as hard copies.

If you are looking for a smaller initial outlay, you might talk with an ATX or Taxwise rep as some here have posted that the rep processes the order so that some of the payment isn't due until after the season starts and collections are coming in. Also, as far as I know, both do allow users to purchase return processing on a pay-per-return basis with a smaller nonrefundable deposit, and that way at least you are purchasing direct and not through a reseller.

If you are looking at all options and would consider Drake, that company also allows users to purchase on a pay-per-return basis. The difference in their PPR pricing is that once the preparer crosses over the point where the PPR fees are equal to the full price of the software, then Drake will automatically switch the user to unlimited access, something that the other companies don't do. Of course, buying Drake now, you would pay the full price whereas those purchasing early can get substantial discounts depending on which month it is purchased.

15 minutes ago, jklcpa said:

Many of these give continued access to your data files as long as you renew. In other words, if you switch to other software then you may lose access at that point. You would definitely need to consider that and save copies of returns as pdfs or as hard copies.

If you are looking for a smaller initial outlay, you might talk with an ATX or Taxwise rep as some here have posted that the rep processes the order so that some of the payment isn't due until after the season starts and collections are coming in. Also, as far as I know, both do allow users to purchase return processing on a pay-per-return basis with a smaller nonrefundable deposit, and that way at least you are purchasing direct and not through a reseller.

If you are looking at all options and would consider Drake, that company also allows users to purchase on a pay-per-return basis. The difference in their PPR pricing is that once the preparer crosses over the point where the PPR fees are equal to the full price of the software, then Drake will automatically switch the user to unlimited access, something that the other companies don't do. Of course, buying Drake now, you would pay the full price whereas those purchasing early can get substantial discounts depending on which month it is purchased.

Thanks Judy. Looked at Drake some years ago after tax season. It just wasn't for me. I'll probably just end up going back to ATX. Miss the good old days when you could get ATX Max for $750.00.

>>>>>>Thanks Judy. Looked at Drake some years ago after tax season. It just wasn't for me. I'll probably just end up going back to ATX. Miss the good old days when you could get ATX Max for $750.00.<<<<<<<

Why do you say Drake wasn't for you? Did you give Drake an honest try? I can tell you first hand and a s a previous ATX user, TaxSlayer, TRX Crap including Red Gear and finally dropped to the bowels of software with OneDesk. After ATX was bought out by CCH, their product declined and I decided to try other platforms and took the route of trying to save money. Well. none of the worked well and after all of the craziness with OneDesk, I purchased Drake and the only thing I regret is not purchasing it sooner. If it is forms drive entry that you like, you can toggle to forms entry with Drake.

Drake support is phenomenal. Their speed is also far above the others and they live up to their 60 second update. I had virtually no problems with anything at all last year using Drake for the first time. The learning curve was minimal and I am still learning all of the functionality. Don't forget, with the software you get the client write up program and now the Drake accounting program. The document cab is absolutely wonderful and my office is now about 85% paperless. They do incorporate a third party with secure file-pro that comes at a very small cost of $9.00 per month. Electronic signatures through the program using a signature pad or you can use signature flow as well. All of this works seamlessly. 

I suggest getting their demo and giving it a test drive. As Judy said, if you buy it now, you'll pay full price or if you buy the PPR, then they will automatically switch you to the unlimited user once you reach the threshold of the full user cost. For me, I'll have no intentions of ever changing to another tax software again.

• Like 4

The entry of data into software is different for each and each person's mind works differently in how they prefer it handled. Drake is not a forms entry type of system and their forms entry system is not really comparable IMO. I like Drake and it is a terrific value but at times there is data to enter that will take me forever to figure out where Drake wants it.

Not every software program works best for all people.

I have no clue if NOMOTAXES is really just on here pitching software. We had that several years ago with a company after TRX died. Guy came on here, offered 100% free software and then people complained it didn't have every form they needed and the service was substandard.

NOMOTAXES doesn't sound like a guy pitching CIT.   I looked at their website and it looks like a startup that is trying the same model others have tried, and failed, with.  I can see how NOMOTAXES would come here and ask, as we all have looked around for cheaper alternatives.  It is what I would do if I was looking at changing software.

If NOMOTAXES is a schill for CIT, he has me fooled, but I won't be buying that product.

Tom
Modesto, CA

13 hours ago, Roberts said:

The entry of data into software is different for each and each person's mind works differently in how they prefer it handled. Drake is not a forms entry type of system and their forms entry system is not really comparable IMO. I like Drake and it is a terrific value but at times there is data to enter that will take me forever to figure out where Drake wants it.

Not every software program works best for all people.

I have no clue if NOMOTAXES is really just on here pitching software. We had that several years ago with a company after TRX died. Guy came on here, offered 100% free software and then people complained it didn't have every form they needed and the service was substandard.

FYI Roberts, no I am not pitching software.  If you read my post I was diplomatically trying not to say  anything too extreme about TRX.  For the record, I was lured by TRX after Orrtax succumbed, but thankfully I left them before the season even got started.  I sensed that something was off kilter, and good thing I got away from them when I did. The point of my post was that I trying to see if anyone had any experience with Community Income Tax (CIT) AND whether CIT was associated with TRX, in which case I would not even waste my time considering them. Frankly I am not a fan of Taxwise (which CIT is offering) . Yes it is simple use software, but nothing can be taken for granted. Information may not automatically populate or calculate, as you might take for granted with other software. I used Taxwise two years after Orrtax for individuals, and ATX PPR for business returns.  

Yes Roberts, well put regarding Drake. Drake is not forms driven.  Personally, I prefer a forms driven brand of tax software. I have a friend who uses Drake and I assume he is well pleased with it.  I have heard many wonderful things about the company. Yet Drake feels very foreign to me. To each his/her own. 

I am comfortable with ATX (but liked them much more when they were owned by the originators, based in Maine I believe?). I like that they have nearly every form you can imagine. I began using ATX when they also went by the name Sabre. I nearly left after the 2012 debacle. Presently such tactics as hampering access to support for current or prior year purchased software by blocking use of the normal support phone line if you have not ordered the next year's software by November; the nuisance and nonsensical requirement to log in to the software if you are idle 20 or more minutes; problems even opening the program, these are matters that I don't like about ATX.  These issues and the fact that price keeps going up gave me cause to give consideration to an alternative. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, BulldogTom said:

NOMOTAXES doesn't sound like a guy pitching CIT.   I looked at their website and it looks like a startup that is trying the same model others have tried, and failed, with.  I can see how NOMOTAXES would come here and ask, as we all have looked around for cheaper alternatives.  It is what I would do if I was looking at changing software.

If NOMOTAXES is a schill for CIT, he has me fooled, but I won't be buying that product.

Tom
Modesto, CA

Thanks BulldogTom, exactly my intent, to see if there was any user history in a search for a cheaper alternative. Not a shill for CIT :).  No connection with it, learned of it just days ago. Agree with Terry D that Taxwise, Tax Slayer, and Red Gear are junk. Still had remnants of Red Gear on an old machine after uninstalling it. Don't think I'll be going with CIT either.

30 minutes ago, Nomotaxes said:

the nuisance and nonsensical requirement to log in to the software if you are idle 20 or more minutes;

This is an IRS mandate for all tax software starting with tax year 2016 software.  The same goes for requiring a password as well as changing it every 90 days.  All IRS mandates.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jack from Ohio said:

This is an IRS mandate for all tax software starting with tax year 2016 software.  The same goes for requiring a password as well as changing it every 90 days.  All IRS mandates.

Talked with a Pro Series user who said he didn't have this issue with 2016. 

17 minutes ago, Nomotaxes said:

Talked with a Pro Series user who said he didn't have this issue with 2016. 

I guess the person in charge of the cyber-security division told thousands of us at the Nationwide Tax Forum things that are not true?  Unless you, or the Pro Series user has information from the IRS that is different, I will go with what was presented.  It IS in the regulations.

Those items cannot be changed in the software. 

I guess it's all just a coincidence that all the tax software and Quickbooks now require passwords.

My software (thankfully) hasn't required the 90 day password update since last May. Hope that continues. I literally have a small sheet of paper on my monitor with the first 5 digits of my software - I keep the rest the same.

I use ProSeries, and if my computer is idle, I have to re-sign in.  And I have to change my password every 90 days (or something close to that, I don't really track it.)  It is a nuisance and I don't think that it makes everything that much more secure but I try not to get upset over things that I cannot change.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gail in Virginia said:

I use ProSeries, and if my computer is idle, I have to re-sign in.  And I have to change my password every 90 days (or something close to that, I don't really track it.)  It is a nuisance and I don't think that it makes everything that much more secure but I try not to get upset over things that I cannot change.  

Agree!

• Like 2