ATX Community

Surpressing Client Soc Sec Numbers on Client Returns

ETax847

33 minutes ago, MN dhawk said:

I used this feature last year but was disappointed to see that SSN's still showed on a few forms. The ones I remember were 1040-V, 4868 and various state payment vouchers.  

If your clients are mailing in payment vouchers or any other forms like the 4868, you probably wouldn't want the SSN suppressed ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

"too stupid to have that feature." Wow, candid answer at its worst.  As a programmer, who also does support, rule 1 is the end user will do something they are not supposed to do.  Rule 2, is you will spend the bulk of your time in a vain attempt to prevent rule 1.

I answer that inquiry, if this is the proper case, with something along the lines of "the tax agency requires the full SSN on that particular form, we are not allowed to truncate or mask".  When pressed, I will mention many tax forms contain a vendor code, and if submitted, and the vendor did not comply with the requirements, not only will the TP get fine, so will the vendor, and the vendor can have all their forms refused if it causes a large number of manual handling by the tax agency.

In real use, I am certain things get masked by "printing" to a PDF, then editing before printing to paper, or by making a copy with a sticky note over the items to be masked.

• Like 1