ATX Community

How To Dig A Hole 101

RitaB

I know nobody is busy, but since Form 1040 is still in draft, here's one:

Church acquaintance needs 2016 return done and actually says:

1)  For some reason, I couldn't get Turbo Tax to work.

2)  It should be really simple.

3)  The bank needs it for our refinance.

4)  It's only illegal if you don't file, right?  Not if you file and don't pay.  That's ok, right?

5)  It should be really simple.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, RitaB said:

I know nobody is busy, but since Form 1040 is still in draft, here's one:

Church acquaintance needs 2016 return done and actually says:

1)  For some reason, I couldn't get Turbo Tax to work.

2)  It should be really simple.

3)  The bank needs it for our refinance.

4)  It's only illegal if you don't file, right?  Not if you file and don't pay.  That's ok, right?

5)  It should be really simple.

Is that the hole picture and the hole truth?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

Oh for the voice or writings of one customer who accepts responsibility for their own actions...  Yesterday and today have been filled with a customer who has no problem telling me about their background and how they overcame it to become well educated, yet the person is unwilling or unable to follow simple directions (click this, type that) and instead, goes on a rant to blame me for having to become vert direct and blunt to get the click this, type that steps actually done, and to discover the error was because of an action the customer took almost three years ago... then the customer again reminds me of their education, and refers to me in an unflattering way.

The interesting part, is their last message clearly is a "vent", and.or some sort of self comforting message, since, after the rant, it has a PS of something along the lines of not telling others how they feel. 

34 minutes ago, Jack from Ohio said:

Answer:  Pay me!

Better answer:  Hello?  Hello?  I'm sorry we have a bad connec...

I don't need money enough to fool with that.  It's like landing a plane with directions via walkie talkie.  In Swahili.  That guidance counselor is about as never mind.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, RitaB said:

Better answer:  Hello?  Hello?  I'm sorry we have a bad connec...

I don't need money enough to fool with that.  It's like landing a plane with directions via walkie talkie.  In Swahili.  That guidance counselor is about as never mind.

I charge a premium price to be the nursemaid for those clients.  Why isn't the guidance counselor trained and experienced in that area?  It is so simple now, hence the reason for my premium price.  I currently have 10 repeating clients for the past 5 years.

Send them to me!!

16 minutes ago, Jack from Ohio said:

I charge a premium price to be the nursemaid for those clients.  Why isn't the guidance counselor trained and experienced in that area?  It is so simple now, hence the reason for my premium price.  I currently have 10 repeating clients for the past 5 years.

Send them to me!!

People like this are not willing to pay either you or me.  It was just a quick question yanno.

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, RitaB said:

People like this are not willing to pay either you or me.  It was just a quick question yanno.

Then let them clean up their mess when they create it.  No problem here.  They will call back asking for help to straighten out their troubles.  More premium fees.  I do make a fair amount of money putting out fires that taxpayers create.

My experience and knowledge did not come to me free, by any measure.

• Like 1

The second trick is to know when to let them go.  For me, it is the first instance of unprofessional behavior (such as a nasty-gram message), threats to leave, threats to sue, etc.  As long as the person remains civil, I will not give up.  The one I wrote about earlier involved more than 60 messages back and forth, but the last one was not civil, so it will be the last one, other than stock replies or excerpts from the program documentation.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, GLJEANNE said:

when they screw up

I have found this is highly dependent on which office you work with.  I have had clients working with three or four locations over the years, and one has consistently done top-notch work with no screw-ups.  One of the others seemingly can't do anything right, ever.  The others are mostly OK but need an eye kept on them.

This is probably the case with any large company.  If you have a location with a good manager who demands high-quality work, you're golden.  If not, caveat emptor!

• Like 2