ATX Community

BAD MALWAREBYTES UPDATE

Lee B

Malwarebytes Update Released to Fix High CPU & Memory Usage in Mbamservice.exe

Lawrence Abrams

An update pushed by Malwarebytes today for their Malwarebytes Anti-Malware product has caused a lot of problems for those who use their program. This new protection update caused mbamservice.exe to consume a lot of memory and upwards to 90% of the computer's CPU. A new update has been pushed that resolves these issues.

Mbamservice.exe Using a lot of CPU

First reported in the Malwarebytes forums, numerous people have been complaining today about mbamservice.exe consuming large amount of memory and spiking the CPU at over 90% usage. This has caused some computers to crash or become too unstable to use.

In a post to their forums, Malwarebytes CEO Marcin Kleczynski explained that a bad protection update caused these problems and that a new update had just been released that fixes these problems.

Information about New Malwarebytes Update that Resolves Problems

To resolve these issues simply start MBAM and check for new updates. The program will automatically download the new update and install it. If your computer is unresponsive, you can either terminate the mbamservice.exe process in task manager and restart Malwarebytes in order to try and download the new update. As a last resort, you can uninstall MBAM and reinstall it. 

Once the update is installed, your computer should no longer be having problems and mbamservice.exe should be using the appropriate amount of resources again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, that explains a lot of what was happening with my computer today!  It's almost 6:30 and I'm finally on, online, and maybe OK, but too scared to open my tax prep program and work it in.  I was going to have my techie in on Monday if it misbehaved again.  Do you know the version number that is the new, good one?

• Like 1

I used the Janitor Bob method.  My Malwarebytes Premium is the same as his.  Earlier today, not only did I have my computer shutting down, not loading Windows, and running extraordinarily slow when it did start, Malwarebytes would not turn Web Protection to On, it would be stuck in Starting...

Now, I seem to be OK.  Well, except for really small fonts on just about everything, icons, tabs, text, etc.  But, I'm not about to mess with settings unless I'm sure everything else is back to normal again.

Thanks, CB, for the post re Malwarebytes.  I'm glad to know it's not something I did and not my computer which is old but hope to nurse it through one more tax season.

• Like 2

Good to know it wasn't any of our machines!  Thank you, cbslee, for posting the reason.

I also have the premium version of MBAM and when I saw its real-time protection was turned off, that my other AV software working overtime and that things were slowing up, I knew that something, or a conflict, was going on between the two of them so I shut off the MBAM to investigate. Luckily for me I wasn't working today, and once I rebooted the problem was being resolved with the Malwarebytes second/corrected updated. 

• Like 1

Mine crashed too.  Panic in the trenches..."Oh, noooo, not now, not now!"  Possible new computer, compatible new printer, driver downloads, phone tech help time, hooking everything up; lost programs, arggghhh!

Mine started going haywire yesterday after I rolled over my first 2016 ATX client to 2017 program.  I'd seen the MalWareBytes pop-up too.  I've got premium MWB but don't know if it's set for automatic updates or not.  Later punched the pop-up but don't know If that was the problem or the cure update.  I uninstalled two high-memory usage programs and the memory increase (I think) put me (sort of) back in business - either that or the MWB fix.  Shut everything down and left off overnight.  Opened up normal this morning and I think all is okay now. 

• Like 2