ATX Community

SALT Cap Workaround

Lee B

Excerpted from Bloomberg News:

Now, various states are considering circumventing that limit by switching from a state personal income tax to an employer-paid state payroll tax calibrated to produce the same amount of revenue. Employers can deduct payroll taxes fully on their federal return.

This would be a tax on Gross Wages paid by the employer. Supposedly New York is leading the way down this road.

• Like 1

Maybe I'm missing something, but how is switching from an income tax to payroll tax going to help the workers?  Sure, businesses can deduct the payroll tax (until the congress changes the law to exempt the deduction) but the businesses will still end up paying out more then the deduction is worth. I assume the businesses are not going to just eat this increased expense and will lower wages to make up for it. I can see businesses that use minimum wage (or near minimum wage) employees laying people off since they will not be able to lower wages to make up for payroll tax.  I live in NY and wish Cuomo would work on lowering taxes by controlling spending instead of spending money on a law suit that is doomed to fail.