ATX Community

Is ATX saying anything about when extender changes will be ready?

BulldogTom

Etax, have a little empathy.  Do you realize how much work this entails?  IRS has to rewrite software, forms, instructions, and pubs.  They have to change a zillion linked pages on their website, FAQs, etc.  This was thrown in their lap one week ago.  They have reduced staff due to budget cuts and are sort of busy administering 2017 filing season right now.  I would be amazed if they could pull it off in one month.  We won't be doing any amendments until after tax season anyway--too busy with first runs.  New returns that are affected by the extenders can be entered, checked, and put on hold until the time comes.  Tell any impatient clients to complain to their congress members (and remember their names come November).

• Like 5

IRS did announce that PMI is still deductible, and a couple of other things in their notice: IR-2018-33, Feb. 22, 2018.  I found it under IRS.gov/Extenders where it says check back often.  I had been looking earlier today and again several hours later...guess if we just check it once or twice a day.  The Extender legislation wasn't signed until 2-9-18 from what IRS stated (The Bipartisan Budget Act).  Fine time for them to do their job!