ATX Community

Tax Star of the Week for 2/24 - 3/2/18

jklcpa

Second week of fun and another chance to be one of our weekly Stars!  

What to post -

• Post something about your week, a kooky client, wacky situation, something that happened in your office, or whatever you want to share with us here that brought smiles, laughs, exasperation, or appreciation and gratitude from those around you.
  • It's ok to chat here too, but those won't count as official entries. If there's a lot of chatter, those will be marked as "nonvoting".
  • If you already posted something in another topic that you would like to have considered, please make mention of it here by directing us to that post, link to it, or quote it here.
  • Nominate other members that were particularly helpful or enthusiastic during the week. Make mention of the post, link to it, or post a quote within this topic. Make this clear enough so that other readers will know what you are referring to.  I'd suggest that you also tag that member by using the "@" function. As an example, to tag me, you would type @jklcpa somewhere in the post.

How it works -

• Valid posts are those made from now about something that happened from 2/24 through Friday 3/2 at 11:59pm ET . Voting will continue through the next day, 3/3/18 until 11:59pm ET.
  • Vote for your favorite Tax Kook/Aficionado by clicking one of the positive emoticons of "like", "thanks" or "haha" within this topic.  If referring to posts in other topics, reactions made there don't count.  Thumbs down and angry faces won't be counted.
  • The topic will be locked at the end of the week to disable the voting.
  • The winner will be the member that earns the highest number of positive reactions for any one post within this topic.  For members having multiple posts in one week, the posts will be considered as stand-alone entries; votes not tallied across the multiple posts.

• jklcpa changed the title to Tax Star of the Week for 2/24 - 3/2/18

I'm soooooo lonely in this topic all by myself!  I'm going to start it off by nominating someone that isn't here very often but always tackles the very hardest questions, gives succinct and informed answers, and many times with the cites.

Vote for DANRVAN using this post.

• Like 8

I'll chime in with something that came in just this morning.  

Long-time clients, married couple; they do online training of some kind.  C-corporation for years and a couple of years ago made a (late) election for S-corp status. So now they need the corporate return done before they can do their personal.  They were warned about this before they made the S-election.  We do the corporate return only; they (he) do the personal returns themselves using Ttx.  

What they send in every year is a home-brew spreadsheet that comingles balance sheet and income statement items.  They don't peel out their asset purchases (technology related, computers, telecon equipment, etc) but those have to be excavated from the charge card spreadsheet they also send.  Their payroll gets done by a big bank (of amerca; shh I didn't say that) and always has to be checked for over-contributions to 401k's because the pr processor allows those to go through.  Then they always want to see if there are any last-minute changes that can be made (additional company contributions, something).

So late last night they send in an email. 

"Hi Catherine,

Hope you are doing well.

I wanted to alert you to the fact that we are applying for our daughter's middle school application this year and the schools we have applied to need a copy of our personal 2017 tax returns. That means we have to file our personal taxes by April 15. I believe our [company name] taxes impact our personal taxes so we would like to have everything in order prior to the April 15 deadline.

I will work on sending you our [company name] financials over the next few days.

Please let me know if you have any questions/concerns regarding this."

March 1st.  They'll send in info "soon" which traditionally means a week or three.  Can we have it done and back immediately.  Candidates for Rita-hugs!
  • Like 3
  • Haha 6

Mine's not tax related. When I work, I have my back to the client. My computer table is behind my desk. I have a beautiful ivy plant on the corner of my desk and when it got too long, I just took the end and looped it back up to make it look fuller.

When I was finished her return, I turned around and she tells me she's 'untangled' my ivy plant, removed the dead leaves and now it's draped down onto the floor. (Oh. Gee. Thanks?)

The icing on the cake was she wore one of those sickeningly sweet perfumes that older ladies like, and it irritated my throat and made me cough. I asked to please not wear perfume in my office because I have asthma. She sniffed herself and said she only put on a few drops. I think they become immune to the smell and just put more and more on every time. She perfumed our restroom so much that it still smelled several hours later.

But I really wanted to tell her to LEAVE MY FRICKIN' PLANT ALONE!:spaz:

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

I think they become immune to the smell and just put more and more on

Yes.  Yes, they do.  My daughters term it "little old Italian lady" smell because ALL of the elderly aunts drench themselves in gag-me perfume.  You should hear my girls' tales of getting buried in perfume when my grandmother died and they got tightly hugged by all the little old ladies there, nearly to the point of Rita-hugged!  "Near-death by perfumed bosom" is one of their nicer terms for that ordeal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, Catherine said:

getting buried in perfume

I have one clear winner who wears the sickliest sweet perfume like some really awful cheap bubble gum. I try to avoid the hug at all costs. We can still smell her perfume 4 hours after she's left. You wouldn't need a hound dog to track her down!

giphy.gif

• Haha 4

Probably not according to the rules of this thread, but I'm nominating Southwest Airlines as Tax Star of the Week.  This company has a top-notch reputation and I see one reason for that in their attitude toward their customers.   A client included their Southwest check stub in their tax info, and I see that every time a Southwest employee cashes their paycheck, it states in bold letters across the top, "DEPOSITS MADE POSSIBLE BY YOUR SOUTHWEST CUSTOMERS".  Nice perspective - more companies should adopt it.

• Like 5

• jklcpa unpinned this topic
15 hours ago, jklcpa said:

And this week's winner is ...

Catherine! 

I'd like to thank the Academy --- oh, wait, wrong group.  You guys all mean SO MUCH MORE to me than any hollyweird bozo ever could!  Thank you!

(I got a star, I got a star.... oh I am just tickled pink!)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Catherine said:

I'd like to thank the Academy --- oh, wait, wrong group.  You guys all mean SO MUCH MORE to me than any hollyweird bozo ever could!  Thank you!

(I got a star, I got a star.... oh I am just tickled pink!)

Congratulations!!!!

A much deserved win! 

And... What is wrong with having an Adding Machine or calculator on the desk!

I use it all the time!

And this in my "work" desk, I meet clients in the other room.  My plant is right behind the screen.

Rich

Desk on March 5th.jpg

• Like 5