ATX Community

Who Will Be Our Next Tax Star - week of 3/3 - 3/9/18

jklcpa

This is the third week for an opportunity to be one of our weekly Stars!  

What to post -

• Post something about your week, a kooky client, wacky situation, something that happened in your office, or whatever you want to share with us here that brought smiles, laughs, exasperation, or appreciation and gratitude from those around you.
  • It's ok to chat here too, but those won't count as official entries. If there's a lot of chatter, those will be marked as "nonvoting".
  • If you already posted something in another topic that you would like to have considered, please make mention of it here by directing us to that post, link to it, or quote it here.
  • Nominate other members that were particularly helpful or enthusiastic during the week. Tell us why the person should be considered.

How it works -

• Valid posts are those made through 3/9/18 at 11:59pm ET and must be about something that happened during this current week. Voting will continue through the next day, 3/10/18 until 11:59pm ET.
  • Vote for your favorite Tax Kook/Aficionado by clicking one of the positive emoticons of "like", "thanks" or "haha" within this topic.  If referring to posts in other topics, reactions made there don't count.  Thumbs down and angry faces won't be counted.
  • The winner will be the member that earns the highest number of positive reactions for any one post within this topic.  For members having multiple posts in one week, the posts will be considered as stand-alone entries; votes not tallied across the multiple posts.

• jklcpa changed the title to Who Will Be Our Next Tax Star - week of 3/3 - 3/9/18

Today's email from a client let me know my fax line was out of order, I called the fax and indeed the line went to a recording, 'the number you have dialed is unavailable , etc.'. I called ATT support and they answered. Within 40 minutes the fax line was working again. So, I let the client know and she went to Home Depot to send the fax (hers at home is broken). Second email stated the same as her first - the line is out of order. I called the fax number and the fax attempted to connect. I again let her know the line is working and confirmed the number. whereupon she said they tried several times without success. No idea what is going on but my guess is it's a combination of issues . Now I am home waiting for the landscaper to go over her plan for my gardens that died in the January freezes. 

• Like 6

I hired a part time reparer a couple of weeks ago.  I had to leave earlier than her yesterday so I explained that the front door lock was just a button in the knob and she would be able to lock it and still leave and have it locked behind her.  She thought I meant the door to my office not the main door to the whole office.  She locked my door with the key safely tucked away in my desk.  I have spent half the day trying to take the door off it's hinges so I could get back into my office.

• Like 3
  • Haha 8
  • Confused 1
  • Angry 1

I had a client expertly....I mean, accidentally...brush his hand across my breast after the unwelcome hug that I tried to cringe away from.  Then again, maybe my breast accidentally brushed against his hand.  In any event, I added $1700 to his accounting fee and my breast is fine with that as long as my foot accidentally finds his a$$ if anything like that ever happens again. Which it won’t because I insisted on mailing the documents to him and he is accidentally fired two minutes after the check clears. Quality of life, my friends.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 2

19 hours ago, Gail in Virginia said:

Excellent response!  We have to stand up for ourselves - no one else will if we don't.

There are a lot of men that will stand up and with you too, many of them are right here.  But I see here I don't have to worry about any of you, you can handle yourselves well and not take any ship from anyone.  

Joint locking techniques and killing with paper cuts?  I would be careful if I was one of your clients.

PS.  Don't forget the deadly triangle if things get rough.  A swift jab with the base of your hand under their nose will stop them in their tracks.

I can't believe we're talking about killing our clients, hugs anyone? 

NON-VOTING POST

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Beth, I'm not going to defend for a split second your hand-wandering client, but I'm getting weary of society trying to find the latest and greatest persecuted group to make news about.

This stuff has been going on for centuries, and although that doesn't make it acceptable, it will continue long after society/press has moved on to yet another persecuted group.  It has been my observation that 75% of female population has at some time experienced lewd behavior from men, and the other 25% wish they had.  I wonder how most of them would feel if men in the workplace started ignoring them.

Of classic irony are the sanctimonius "me-too" women on TV awards shows half-dressed in low-cut and high split clothing.

Either suck it up or if a guy "accidentally" does something, resort to an "accidental" slap in the face.  This has usually worked for years and years.  From an old-school, politically incorrect guy who is out-of-step with the times. 

NON-VOITNG POST

• Thumbs Down 2
  • Angry 2

Remember that negative reactions don't help a member advance in his or her quest to earn a star,  lol   so the angry or sad faces don't count. If you want to vote for that person's post in a positive way, I'd suggest a heart and then express your anger or dismay by posting a supportive response. 

Just received the following phone call:

Caller - "May I speak to Gina please"

Me - "This is she"

Caller -  "This is Donna from Curves.  I'm just calling to let you know if you come in before 5 p.m. tomorrow you can join Curves for only $5.  Are you interested in setting up an appointment for tomorrow?"

Me -  (trying not to laugh out loud while munching on a bag of cheddar puffcorn and slurping an orange Fanta) "Uh, I am doing income taxes.  It's only March 7th.  I will not see the light of day until sometime after April 17th, so thanks but I think I will have to pass."

Caller (now identified as Donna) - click......

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

ya got an email from PB< sending my new postal meter as mine is now obsolete and by the way price went up also... and when  it comes today, we need at least 3 people to learn how to run it for 90 minutes! I replied - ha ha - not until after April 18th, tax office!

Well it came, she said let it sit and now I can use the obsolete one - I wonder how long at the old lower price... hhmmmm

Then my front desk person took the angry call - you so messed up - we got our check by mail , not direct deposit - and hung up - went online - IRS said - guess what, you were set up for DD but couldn't do that so mailed your check - My fault? I cannot control everything!!!

Take a breath..

• Like 6

14 hours ago, jklcpa said:

Remember that negative reactions don't help a member advance in his or her quest to earn a star,  lol   so the angry or sad faces don't count. If you want to vote for that person's post in a positive way, I'd suggest a heart and then express your anger or dismay by posting a supportive response. 

Sorry Judy, I didn't realize this was a vote for some kind of star.  I didn't really expect a chorus of support from anyone, especially wimmin folk.  Obviously, I'm not trying to win anything - wouldn't know what to do with it anyhow.  I'll stay out of "star" threads hitherthence.

5 hours ago, Edsel said:

Sorry Judy, I didn't realize this was a vote for some kind of star.  I didn't really expect a chorus of support from anyone, especially wimmin folk.  Obviously, I'm not trying to win anything - wouldn't know what to do with it anyhow.  I'll stay out of "star" threads hitherthence.

I believe Judy was just clarifying for the folks who were sad for BHoffman or angry at her doofus client in her first post. 

I know Tom almost wrecked my world the first week of star search by posting a sad face.  I still love him; things happen.

BTW, I actually agree with a lot of what you said, but I'm pretty sure your stats are off, because I can honestly say I have not been mistreated because I am a woman, nor do I hope to be.  There are stupid people who mistreat everybody, but smart people ignore that as much as possible.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, RitaB said:

BTW, I actually agree with a lot of what you said, but I'm pretty sure your stats are off, because I can honestly say I have not been mistreated because I am a woman, nor do I hope to be.  There are stupid people who mistreat everybody, but smart people ignore that as much as possible.

Rita, I am pretty sure that someone who mistreated you would soon find themselves "hugged" and in the back 40.  I can't wait to meet you in person in June.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, Gail in Virginia said:

Rita, I am pretty sure that someone who mistreated you would soon find themselves "hugged" and in the back 40.  I can't wait to meet you in person in June.

Hahahaha, well, I did recall after I posted that a jack@$$ smacked a body part of mine in Wal-Mart one time.  I was so shocked I couldn't do anything.  He continued on his way with a big smile on his face.  It was a very brief encounter and I escaped unscathed.  So did he.  I am laughing so hard right now. 

I cannot wait to meet you, too, Gail!   And everybody else!   I hope everyone is bringing family, too.  My kids are gonna love this.

• Like 5

Last man who tried to get funny with me was some years ago at a contra dance.  The father of one of my older daughter's best friends, too (the sleazebucket).  I managed to avoid him by "accidentally" stumbling, and elbowed him in the gut at the same time.  I apologized for the elbow with a BIG smile.  Funny how he never tried again.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Ok, since we are reminiscing, some years ago in NYC I would pick up and drop off returns to some clients.  There was a client Vivian, about 20 years older that me (I was in my late 30s), we always kissed and hugged each other, we had a nice relationship,.  I would go there around lunchtime because she would make me peppers and eggs with crusty Tuscan bread, only cooked that for me and the local priest.   One time she got a little rambunctious and all I said was, we have a good relationship, let's not complicate it.  Do you think I wanted to give up those peppers and eggs?  No way.

• Haha 6

As a man, I have had women touch my arm, rub my chest, touch or pull my hair, hug me from behind with no warning and even smack my butt. I understand as a man I (usually) am in a position of power (physically, emotionally, etc.) so my reaction to these things is way different than a woman's would be. And, none of these things rose to a sexual level, in my mind.

• Like 8