ATX Community

Who Will Be Our Next Tax Star - week of 3/3 - 3/9/18

jklcpa

Okay I'll give this story a shot. I have been preparing taxes for an elderly couple that lives approximately 35 minutes away. The old guy I am told is terminal (been hearing this since 2008 and he is still here). Usually I make the trip to their home to pickup their documents, return to my office and make a return trip to obtain the signatures and deliver their copies to them. The elderly lady is just plain crazy and a hoarder. Every year she looses or can't find the documents and it has gotten worse as time goes on. Fast forward to this year. The old guy is now hospitalized and the crazy lady is now by herself. First call goes like this her: When can you come pick the documents up and which ones do you need? Me: I can come on Tuesday. Her: okay but you will tell me which documents I need cause you do this all the time so you know what I need. Me: Well I'll see what you have when I get there. I get there pick up what she has. Keep in mind there is only a very narrow path to move anywhere in this place. A week goes by, she calls. Her: When are you coming here to finish the return? Me: Remember I normally take drop offs in the order I get them so I am almost to yours. Her: Well this is important so you be sure to come and I want you to do the return here. After enough conversation, I grab the laptop, printer and off I go. I prepare the return from what she has. I ask about documents from the previous year that she did not give me. Her response: Can you go online and get them? I explain the need to setup accounts for access and I have no idea where to begin to look for stock transactions that may or may not exist (1099 Barter exchanges). Now she says, she gave me everything. So, I print the finished return, gather the signatures (she has POA to sign for her husband) leaver her with her copy. Two days go by and she calls and says: I found the papers you need when can you come get them? Me: Please mail them to me. Her: I'm sick and cannot leave the house so you have to come pick them up. Please call before you come to be sure I am here. With stupid looks on my face that she can't see, I'm thinking if you can't leave the house to mail the *&%^)))) document why should I call to be sure you're there? Okay, I'm a push over at times so I give in and now make the third trip to pick up whatever it is she has. I hate to say it but the additional information will cost her on her return but now I'm kinda enjoying that. Two days go by she calls: Are you coming today? I'm not sure but I thought you said you were coming here today. If you are and I'm sick you know but call to make sure I'm here before you come. What ??? Really??? Are you kidding me???? BTW- her return was never transmitted. I added the new information and am waiting for the next round. Some how I need to get the new 8879 signed and escape for the rest of the year. I think I will tell her that I am out of business when she calls next year.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

I recently met with my broker, and he had me sign a form that I had not seen before.  Basically, what this form does is designate someone that the broker can contact if he thinks that I am losing it and need help managing my affairs.  Perhaps tax preparers need a form similar to this that we can have our clients tell us who to call when we think they have lost their minds.  I don't know who will hold a form telling our clients who to call when they think we have lost our minds - or if they could tell since most of them have never met me when I wasn't on the crazy end of the spectrum.

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

17 hours ago, Terry D said:

Two days go by and she calls and says: I found the papers you need when can you come get them? Me: Please mail them to me. Her: I'm sick and cannot leave the house so you have to come pick them up. Please call before you come to be sure I am here. With stupid looks on my face that she can't see, I'm thinking if you can't leave the house to mail the *&%^)))) document why should I call to be sure you're there?

Crying.  You can't make this stuff up.  If they only knew the things in the thought bubbles over our heads.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

On ‎03‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 7:29 AM, Edsel said:

Beth, I'm not going to defend for a split second your hand-wandering client, [glad you said THAT] but [Negates what you just said] I'm getting weary of society trying to find the latest and greatest persecuted group [why didn't you insert a comment about how you and your "group" are "presecuted"] to make news about.

This stuff has been going on for centuries, [And that makes it right?] and although that doesn't make it acceptable, [thank you] it will continue long after society/press [we are only accountable for our own actions, and these actions are unacceptable] has moved on to yet another persecuted group.  It has been my observation that 75% of female population has at some time experienced lewd behavior from men [I don't know where you get your stat's from, I presume you find this acceptable?], and the other 25% wish they had [This is so wrong on SO many levels].  I wonder how most of them would feel if men in the workplace started ignoring them [they would feel much better in the workplace if men didn't treat them like their private sexual fantasies walking around] .

Of classic irony are the sanctimonius "me-too" women on TV awards shows half-dressed in low-cut and high split clothing [The victims clothing has nothing to do with the perp's action to violate that victim.] 

Either suck it up [take it, because you are unworthy of mutual respect] or if a guy "accidentally" does something [nothing of this type of activity is "accidental"], resort to an "accidental"  [It shouldn't be "accidental" it should be "intentional" and delivered more often] slap in the face.  This has usually worked for years and years.  From an old-school, politically incorrect guy who is out-of-step with the times. [Duh]

But you learned how to use a computer.  A smart phone. The internet. The radio in your car.  But its still acceptable to grab a woman a$$.  Wow.  Ok.  We can't learn.  I get this. 

NON-VOITNG POST

This stuff ends when Men start calling out the other Men. 

Rich

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• jklcpa unpinned this topic