ATX Community

Refund is not yet approved--why

Dan

I have a return that is now 20 days after being e-filed and still not approved.  Why?  The return contains a 1040A return with one W-2 in the amount of $8272 and federal taxes of $1167.  All the federal taxes are to be refunded to the client.  I have called 1-800-829-1040 but there is no way to be able to talk to an IRS person that I can see from that number unless I am missing something.  Can anyone provide me some answers to this problem?  Thanks for your help. 

All IRS blurps seen so far state to wait at least 21 days after filing.  20 days is just short of 21.  With that said, I have a few EITC people who have received refunds just a week to ten days after they started sending them AND they had filed just a few days before release.

• Like 1

I was pleasantly surprised to learn that a paper return filed by a client on Feb 6 resulted in their refund being deposited to their bank account last week.  Especially since I'm always hearing how paper filing creates SEVERE delays for refunds. 

• Like 1

Had a deceased return last year with a refund filed in March 2017. They received the refund in mid-February 2018. The IRS proposed a change last April which we agreed with (seems an Est Tax pmt wasn't made as proclaimed by the daughter). Since the court didn't appoint anyone as executor of the estate (didn't have much in assets), the IRS wouldn't talk to anyone about the return so it was in limbo. Client's daughter was 100% sure it was all my fault until the check arrived.

17 minutes ago, Roberts said:

Had a deceased return last year with a refund filed in March 2017. They received the refund in mid-February 2018. The IRS proposed a change last April which we agreed with (seems an Est Tax pmt wasn't made as proclaimed by the daughter). Since the court didn't appoint anyone as executor of the estate (didn't have much in assets), the IRS wouldn't talk to anyone about the return so it was in limbo. Client's daughter was 100% sure it was all my fault until the check arrived.

I hate when that happens.