ATX Community

N/T Cyber insurance

grandmabee

Whatever it costs, buy it.  We are being hounded by constant messages from IRS, states, and the professional associations that tax offices are the hottest target right now, don't open anything, report phishing emails, tell everyone in the office and on and on.  Today I got an email that appeared to be from someone who knew me..said they finally got their docs together, gave a list of what was attached and a phone number to call with questions.  Spelling and grammar were fine, and there was a business address.  I noticed that the message just started with "hi," not "hi Sarah," like most clients usually say, and the person had an unusual first name that I didn't recall.  I checked our client list and there was no such person.  Later I read the NATP blog and someone there reprinted the exact same message.  They looked up the business and it's a real business in TX.  It's a scary world out there.

• Like 5

With the IRS directory ( which I opted out) and in California, the CTEC directory our names, addresses and phone numbers available, we have no choice but to be overly diligent.  My wife, who used to sell insurance, always said, you can never have enough.

• Like 2

My insurance is through AICPA, brought to me by Aon, underwritten by CNA (whatever all that means).  It's the AICPA CPA Value Plan.  I really only do taxes now with minimal bookkeeping for certain tax clients and no other assurance work.  As my gross income is pathetically low, my fees are too.  Hey, as long as the profit pays for my dive trips :)

• Like 2